Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Of islands and moments

No Man Is An Island

No man is an island, entire of itself
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main
if a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were,
as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were
any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind
and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls
it tolls for thee.


-- John Donne

***********************************************

I can see why Hemingway loved Key West and chose
to live there and work on some of his greatest books.
Though it was intolerably hot (to me) the day I was there,
the atmosphere was laid-back and jovial, people enjoying
their day of living on the fringes, far away from the mainland,
surrounded by water, thoughts of work to be done and
things to do left at home.

I was so terrified about the boat ride (or ferry ride,
I should say--it is a ferry--very large--incredibly smooth—
passengers only—no cars) that I had anxiety for weeks
about going, but I will do it again, when I can and if I can.
It was so relaxing to let someone else take you somewhere
hundreds of miles away, to a place you’ve never been,
surrounded by people you do not know, out there in the middle
of the water, no land in sight.

The water, oh my! I have never seen water like that--it truly
is emerald and so clear you can see the bottom even at 90
ft. or some such depth, and the sunset over the ocean (though
less spectacular than sunsets I have seen from shore) streaked
the sky with its pinks and corals and light greens and shots
of deep blue until there was nothing left of it and night
surrounded the ferry, which was making good speed
toward the mainland.


But that (the Key West trip) was just one very small part
of the entire trip, which has infected me, I'm afraid,
with an overwhelming sense of…hmmm, best not go where
my mind is wanting to go...some things are better left unsaid.

************************************

Started getting sick the first night of the trip. First cold
I've had in such a very long time. Still coughing and
stuffy but no worse. I think Isaac and I must be sharing
the same germ. He had to go to ER Sunday. Pneumonia
and an ear infection. I went to see him yesterday (what
a sweet smile for his GiGi!) and he seemed to be feeling
much better. I got him a cute shirt at Sloppy Joe's
in Key West (the Hemingway haunt bar--it was a cool
place (literally and figuratively!). We got home Monday
night. We spent 7 nights at my sister's in Naples
and then drove to Orlando and spent one night with
my husband's nephew and his family. It was all good--
all--the company, the food, the conversations, the drive,
the weather (well--it was a bit hotter than I like but
it was sunny the whole week and the beach was beautiful,
as always!).

Molly and the cats were fine. Son took care of them
for the most part. Hubby left for a race on Thursday
so youngest son was the only one here to take
care of things. He did a fine job, and he cleaned
the house up too! I was dumbfounded to walk in
and find everything so clean!

My niece's graduation was a fun day. I can't believe
I didn't burst into tears (my eyes filled up a few times
but no major downpours). I am so proud
of her and excited as well. She will be going to Simmons--
it's an all-girl college in Boston. I don't know much
about it, but she's stoked about going.

Other niece and her family are doing well too. Her boys
(my great-nephews) are so cute! One will be 2 in June
and the other will be 1 in August. She's a busy gal!

*****************************

Gotta get doing...still going through mail and papers.
Interview tomorrow--need to get prepared today.

It's good to get away, but it's good to be home.

5 comments:

Calder said...

Welcome home Maggie, sounds like a lot of fun and some times that are more forgetable (getting sickie).

Love the S&G vid

"I have my words and my poetry to protect me..."

Smiles!

LKD said...

Geez, it's good to see you back here.

I've been missing you.

What were you infected with, Maggie?

Wanderlust?

Good luck, tomorrow, kid.

Talia said...

Welcome home. I missed you too.

Maggie said...

Calder, Laurel, and Talia,

Thanks for the welcome back...it's nice to be missed!

Calder, the S & G video was interesting--they are so young! I've always loved that song.

Laurel,

Something like wanderlust, yes.

Makes me think I could just sell seashells by the seashore and live hand-to-mouth, but the reality would most likely not be such a pretty picture. Ahhh, the grass is always greener, yes?

Had the interview. I feel it went well. It's wait and see now.

Talia,

How's the job search going? Are you just waiting to hear back?

Talia said...

I have an interview Tuesday at the schoo where I student-taught. I've pretty much put all my stades into it.