Friday, December 30, 2011



I saw Patti at a place in Nashville in 97. A place no longer there. I think it was called 329 Performance Center, but I am most likely wrong. What is not wrong about the memory is what an amazing performer and artist she is. And, as the venue was small and intimate, I was in front of the stage, and as she started this song, I had my hand outstretched hoping she would take hold of it, and she did. And she held my hand for some time. And, I felt energy. I felt connection. I felt the life force. And I mean that in all seriousness. It was profound. Not just because she is Patti Smith, but because I felt there was something she knew. I can feel the touch still. I am not trying to present her as idol or any better than I am. What I felt was the touch of one human who knew pain to another in pain. It was a good moment. "You're not alone. You're not alone. You're not alone."

2 comments:

LKD said...

Have you read her book?

It's supposed to be excellent.

Her memoir and Keith Richard's are at the top of books to read this year or someday.

Both books have garnered rave reviews. And hell, Patti's won the National Book Award.

Maggie said...

Getting ready to start it.

Been reading some Kooser and Rilke.

But, not much in a reading mood. Shame. That.

Just the way it works out sometimes.