Friday, October 06, 2006

As small as a world and as large as alone


Bad day yesterday

and totally drained today. Going to have lunch
with a friend then come home and start packing.

My mom, my youngest and I will leave for Naples
tomorrow. The trip has been planned for months.
I wasn't worried about the cost when I planned the trip.

I was working. Thankfully, most of it has been paid for already.

I want to just will myself to let go of all of this nonsense
for the next 9 days so I can just enjoy seeing my sister,
my nieces, and my new great nephew.

The ocean has always been such a calming presence,
so I plan to just lie on the beach all morning and into
the afternoon.

Just lie there and look out at the water
and think about how small I feel in the presence of such
a great expanse.

And hopefully I'll find a shell that will sing to me
so sweetly I won't remember my troubles (thank
you ee).

My hat's off to you, mr cummings!:



maggie & millie & molly & may
. . . e. e. cummings

maggie and millie and molly and may
went down to the beach (to play one day)

and maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles,and

millie befriended a stranded star
who's rays five languid fingers were;

and molly was chased by a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles:and

may came home with a smooth round stone
as small as a world and as large as alone.

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.

2 comments:

sam of the ten thousand things said...

What great lines from Cummings:

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.

And true. Thanks for the post.

Maggie said...

Well, Sam, I bobbed along in the waters of the Gulf Friday, knowing I would not have the chance Saturday, and kept repeating those lines:

Whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.


Over and over.

And nothing in particular happened to me and everything in particular happened to me.

In my bouyancy, floating there in the warm waters, my mother walking the beach, my sister snapping pictures, my niece lying in the sun, my son walking across the bridge back to the condo--I felt free and I felt humbled and I felt terrified and I felt alive.

And I felt I had let go and given myself to the sea.

And I thought:

If she chooses to claim me, I am ready.

But she didn't, and I tired.

And I walked out of the sea and into yesterday and into today and into tomorrow if the universe chooses.