Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sunday in Macon

My mother, nearly blind
from cataracts, follows me
through the courtyard. The pool
is covered in its winter black tarp.

Though I assume she cannot see
this closure of a season, she finds
a reason to remark: "How many
little feet must have trod this path

all summer." And I think, "People
see what they want to see even when
they cannot see." But I only follow
her comment with some helpful

advice. This way, Mom. Step up
here, turn right there, the coffee's
over here, the doughnuts are old,
the milk outdated at the Deluxe Buffett.

And she just follows me, listens to my
advice like I'm a sage or a saint. Gives
herself in her stockinged feet to my
every suggestion. I even tell her

which container is the strawberry
jelly, which button is caffeinated coffee,
which chair is clear of crumbs
and relatively safe to sit in.

4 comments:

jz said...

I take it you were inspired by Dodge -- good to read you again.

Maggie said...

Thanks, you, for reading me and commenting.

Dodge was inspiring, but I am so overwhelmed with issues (heard or read an article/discussion/something about how folks use the word "issues" now instead of "problems" and how one knows when something is an issue or it's just a plain ole problem--beats me, but I think mine are issues!)that I just can't focus on my writing.

I do think that when I am better, the Dodge experince will come through in my work.

Despite my issues, I am still totally wowed by the entire experience. I do hope you get to make it there one day, jz...God, I know you'd love it.

More to come!
Love,
M

sam of the ten thousand things said...

Enjoyed the poem Maggie. Especially interested in the pool covered with the tarp -- connecting with the eyes, of course, but later with the outdated milk, the strawberry jelly, the coffee. Also, the doughnut and the chair.

Maggie said...

Hey Sam,

I didn't have my glasses on when I walked with my mom to the breakfast, and I am seriously nearsighted with a very serious astigmatism, so I felt we might be on some kind of common ground.

Never good to make assumptions.

Thanks for your comments.
Best,
M