Monday, December 18, 2006

My Grandmother's Love Letters

There are no stars to-night
But those of memory.
Yet how much room for memory there is
In the loose girdle of soft rain.

There is even room enough
For the letters of my mother's mother,
Elizabeth,
That have been pressed so long
Into a corner of the roof
That they are brown and soft,
And liable to melt as snow.

Over the greatness of such space
Steps must be gentle.
It is all hung by an invisible white hair.
It trembles as birch limbs webbing the air.

And I ask myself:
"Are your fingers long enough to play
Old keys that are but echoes:
Is the silence strong enough
To carry back the music to its source
And back to you again
As though to her?"

Yet I would lead my grandmother by the hand
Through much of what she would not understand;
And so I stumble. And the rain continues on the roof
With such a sound of gently pitying laughter.

Hart Crane

*****************************************

My favorite Hart Crane. Easy to read. Beautifully written.

"Over the greatness of such space/Steps must be gentle"

I choke up every time I read those lines.

Time to go clear out the kitchen. New floor goes in
today.

I wait until I am jobless to complete my kitchen renovation.

Good thing Grandma gave me some money for graduation.
I know she's proud for me and of me and wanted to do
something, so she gave me some money, and I shall
purchase the tile with that money.

Glad Hart Crane came to mind this morning. Especially
this poem.

14 comments:

LKD said...

It's the rain's pitying laughter that chokes me up.

I misread the last lines of the last Pastan you posted below as grief being a suitcase.

You shove so much stuff in it that you have to sit on it to shut it, you lock it up and lose the key but it still pops open, you unpack it and put it in the closet where it sits in the dark and waits, you leave it behind unclaimed or think its lost but your name is on it and it finds its way back to you.

Grief is a suitcase. It's big and it's heavy and it's ugly. You must drag it and drag it until finally one day, for no apparent reason at all, you let go.

Or maybe, it lets go.

(I was just standing on the front steps composing another dead dad poem)

Maggie said...

Yes...the rain line...with such a sound of gently pitying laughter...gives me goose bumps...hits ya right at your core, ya know?

Your ananlogy (suitcase) is spot on. I haven't been able to write a dead dad poem yet.

I about lost it when I received a balloon bouquet and gift card from my mom last week. The cards said, "We are so proud of you for receiving your bachelor's...love, Mom and Dad"

Still just about losing it thinking how he was absent from my graduation and my birthday and Thanksgiving and his birthday and now Christmas but most particularly all those ordinary days in between. Those days when, even if I didn't see him or talk to him, I knew he was there. I knew I could call him.

I can't shut my suitcase...too full. Maybe some day.

I'll be looking for another poem from you.

If I don't hear more from you before the holidays, let me extend my wishes for a joyful holiday season. I'll be praying for some snow for you (and here too!).
:)

Anonymous said...

ambien price ambien cr and xanax - ambien side effects in children

Anonymous said...

zolpidem buy side effects stopping zolpidem - zolpidem tartrate

Anonymous said...

xanax without prescription buy xanax online legally cheap - 8 mg xanax side effects

Anonymous said...

valium diazepam want buy diazepam online - valium diazepam 5 mg roche

Anonymous said...

valium generic valium high blood pressure - valium street price 5mg

Anonymous said...

zolpidem online ambien cr generic date - ambien side effects sleep driving

Anonymous said...

buy cheap ativan ativan withdrawal 0.5mg - ativan unlabeled uses

Anonymous said...

buy xanax online risque overdose xanax - xanax bars 249

Anonymous said...

where to buy valium online .25 xanax vs valium - cheap valium online india

Anonymous said...

order soma buy soma online cheap - soma medication onset

Anonymous said...

buy valium online valium test anxiety - valium pill photo

Anonymous said...

generic valium names much do valium cost - valium best anxiety medication