Wednesday, August 29, 2007

What They Found

A container of wrapping tape, three
cookbooks with handwritten notes,
fifteen hardback journals filled
with rhetoric of homespun, volumes
of poetry with sticky notes holding
fast as lightning, dried flowers crumbling
at the touch. In another room, outlines
of an English garden and plans to extend
the back room, replete with French
doors and a deck, boxes of baby
items, each neatly noted, half-worked
crossword puzzles, some with notations
scrawled in the margins regarding the idiocy
of language, dental floss on the bedside
table & Kleenex wadded up and scattered
like magnolia blossoms after the storm.
Room by room, they go, these who were left
behind, these who thought they knew.
In the kitchen, this: colorful asides
on the O'Keeffee calendar pages, musings
on the finer qualities of cabernet, Almanac
facts regarding the heat, enigmatic inscriptions
with no apparent relevancy: No phone call
from B
, 15 Maybe 20 at the best, trade offs
seldom pay off. This is all that is left
of her life, all that remains of a body
that lived among them, attached to them
like tendrils of wisteria vine, clinging
tightly to the closest storm-proof refuge,
rising and falling above them like no sky
they had ever seen, below them like strange
organisms of the deep they considered
a time or two when pondering the mysteries
of the unknown. Work not done, they enter
a sanctuary, a refuge when they were frightened
in the dark and the straight way was lost,
the room where she held them to her breast
and stroked their small heads as they clung to life,
where she kissed tears and patted the shoulders
of worry when the long, long nights turned longer,
where she curled herself up, fetal position.
There, a lavender pillowcase littered
with fine brown strands, some smeared mascara,
the stains of a mouth-breathing sleeper,
panties cast off in the night, no longer willing
to be confined or defined, a ceramic cherub-embossed
bowl with trinkets and jewelry, a mother's broken watch,
a dead friend's toothed necklace, a strand
of Job's Tears beads they never saw her wear,
a class ring with some forgotten sprinter
breaking the tape in a race that mattered
far too much many years ago, a faux Celtic
pendant engraved in runes, a shiny and radiant
lock of auburn hair, clipped in a moment of abandon,
saved for a purpose, for a memory of a time
when cutting a lock meant something.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have sort of been on a roll lately with the writing. I really enjoyed this one...it is thick with details--intersting details. I'm amazed at how much you are able to include in a poem.

Maggie said...

Hey Talia,

Might have put too much in this one but it felt like it could have kept going (and it may). I keep fooling around with it because it's not quite where I want it and it's important to me to get it there. Gonna rework the Job's Tears thing so it reads better and gives a more accurate description of such a unique piece of handmade (Native American, I think) body ornamentation (don't know that I would use the term jewelry here but I suppose it is technically jewelry). I appreciate your comments and encouragement!

LKD said...

No, not too much.

Just enough.

Enough to overwhelm.

Enough for the reader to feel the weight of a whole world.

This poem reminds me of Bishop's poem, "The Art of Loss."

It also reminds me of Tim O'Brien's short story, "The Things They Carried."

It's a hell of a list, M.

It's a hell of a list poem.

It's a hell of a poem.

It'll be a while before I can shake this one loose of me.

Maggie said...

The Things They Carry is such a powerful story...a must read, I think. Such intensity driven home with the repetition of "they carried..." I think I need to reread it.

Thanks for reading me, Laurel, and for commenting. I am still fooling around with this one. It's not any longer--I've just changed a few words here and there.

And Bishop, I think I even have her poem a ways down the board here in one of my entries. Been reading her and Laux and waiting to get some Simic, Wright, and Strand in the mail any day. I just realized how little of their work I had read, so I got some deals on Amazon and am looking forward to getting the books.