The Torch
...has been passed to me this Thanksgiving.
Mom not really up to it and mother-in-law
is simply too tired (88 now and has shingles--ouch!).
Will have about 16 people on Thursday and 10 or so
Friday.
I have only prepared the Thanksgiving turkey on 3
occasions (at least, that's all I remember), so I am
a turkey novice. I am just going to rub it down
with some sage butter (under the skin too) and stuff
it with fresh herbs, onions, celery, and carrots.
I think it will turn out fine.
Now, I'm trying to figure out the other things.
I have to keep these things in mind as I prepare
my list for Thursday and Friday (oldest brother,
his partner/girlfriend/companion and their child
and her children will be here Friday).
I have eaters who are:
gluten-free
kosher
low sodium
vegetarian
So, I must figure out foods that fit all types of eaters.
I am definitely not a traditional person in the sense
that I could forego dressing/stuffing and sweet potatoes
with marshmallows and all that sweet stuff on them,
so, I am going to experiment.
Sweet potato hash will be served. It has black eyed
peas, jalapenos, cilantro, thyme, red bell pepper
and other yummy things in it. I hope it turns out well.
The dressing will be gluten free and meatless and will
have the typical things in it--celery, onions, poultry seasoning,
fresh sage, egg, etc. , but I want to add something to zing
it up a bit. I may try some sundried tomatoes in there.
We'll see.
Also on the menu:
roasted asparagus
gruyere broccoli casserole (gluten-free)
fresh corn with diced red and green peppers
cranberry salad with mandarin oranges, pecans, and celery
(daughter-in-law)
corn pudding (my mother-in-law)
baked apples with cream cheese and nut filling (mother-in-law)
mashed potatoes (mom)
green beans (mom)
sugar shock cake (baby brother's girlfriend)
buttermilk pie (mother-in-law)
pumpkin cheesecake (daughter-in-law)
So, I won't have to cook everything, and most of mine
will cook quickly after I have removed the turkey
from the oven.
Still thinking about what kind of bread to do. Could
make some muffins with sundried tomato (gluten-free)
and bake some rolls.
************************
Been downer than down lately and wondering what in
the hell this--this being here--is all about, but I think
I will feel better when my children, grandchild, brothers,
and other family members are here.
I am truly thankful for the blessings in my life. I hope
I can pull myself out of this funk some day real soon.
Dear readers, whomever you may be, I hope
you are surrounded by those you love and those
who love you this Thanksgiving. Many blessings
from me to you.
6 comments:
We have some family here too and we had to add a leaf to the table and the kitchen feels and looks so much warmer because of it.
You are a very kind and accomodating cook. And I'm sure you're a great cook, too! Somehow I managed to not have to lift a finger this year. My mom does all of it and I usually bring a desert, but my grandmother is bringing 2 so my mom told me not to worry about it. That's fine with me. I'd rather stick to the things I'm good at anyway.
Have a nice Thanksgiving, Maggie.
Enjoy the not lifting a finger days! Before you know it, the torch will be passed to you. And you'll shake your head and think, "I can't be that old or that ready or in that place!" But you know what, it's all very, very right and it's all fine, and I am grateful I am here to be the one.
You have a wonderful holiday!
What's sugar shock cake?
it's what my youngest brother (33)calls his girlfriend's chess cake because it has so! much sugar...
I haven't eaten any yet...I usually don't eat dessert...I get enough at the meal and vino or alcohol satisfies the sweet craving, so I can't attest to the fact that one goes into sugar shock after eating Lisa's chess cake...just have to take my brother's word for it!
Maggie, I happened upon your blog...I understand the dietary requirements of guests...and the passing of the Torch.
I hope your gathering was blessed!
I love your writing.
Karen,
So glad you stopped by...thank you for your vote of confidence in my writing...one day I hope I can do more than just ramble...the gathering was blessed...I was completely exhausted but in so many ways I felt more whole than I have in a long time...I shall visit you soon!
Post a Comment