Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Diversion

Sometimes breathing becomes incredibly
noticeable, like the neighbor starting
his weed eater at seven in the morning, early
riser that he is, not thinking about anyone else's
agenda, not realizing that the simple act
of pulling a cord attached to a thing which creates
a whole other existence might make all the difference,
not thinking his exertion may be the one thread
that binds all of life together. So you get
pissed off and want to call him up, but your lungs,
hangover and bad dream stop you short. It's not even
a sunny day, not even spring or summer, just a balmy
odd winter morning, three days past the killing frost,
you in your makeshift pajamas--a Dylan t-shirt and black
shorts, pausing in your utter annoyance to realize
that this sound--obnoxious or otherwise--is life,
that you’re still here. The small birds, whose names
you never learned, alight on the naked branches
of the dogwood, the small blessing of morning. You
take the deep breath that refused to come earlier,
throw off the comforter in gratitude for the air moving
now inside and outside your forgiving body, wanting
to scream Glory be, I’m alive!, but you think it’s better
not to push your luck and make such a big deal of things,
so you walk to the kitchen and start the coffee, the way
you do every morning of your weary life, push open
the storm door with your arthritic fingers, make your bleary
eyed trek to the front yard where things feel strangely
different today. You can't resist staring--in awe
of the man and his machine--in mad reckless abandon
as the minutiae of the moment satiates your senses
like no lover or enemy ever could.

6 comments:

james said...

gosh, this is nice! made my morning, for sure. thanks, maggie. love your outfit, by the way haha. won't be saying what mine is like.

Maggie said...

Hey you! I am so glad you're back...love the new look and the doll…I remember her.

While you were commenting, I went in and revised this. I noticed a few pain-in-the-ass non sequiturs and thought it needed to be cleaned up a bit.

Let me know what you think.

I made lots of changes and played around with the format. I changed it from the choppy full block to longer lines and quatrains, but I didn't like the quatrains, so I'm back to the blob (my poetry teacher used to say to me no journal would want my blobs because they look like such an imposing block of ink, or some such thing--he never encouraged anything but more white space and different structure, so for years all I've been doing is writing in couplets, tercets, quatrains, etc.)

I kind of like the blob look, but on this one, with its emphasis on the struggle to breathe, I'm not sure if I want to open it up and let it breathe, or make it feel very congested--constricted--almost suffocatingly tight.

Sorry for the ramble...in that kind of mood!

james said...

the blob does exactly what you wish for: it gives us that strangled feeling. if you still long for some white space, save it for the end, when you and poem have both been liberated. try just separating the last two lines from the body and let them float free.

btw, i disagree w/your poetry teacher: the reader does not totally own the poem, nor does the writer: we must allow the piece its own life, and there is a point where it will tell us what it needs and where it wants to go. sonetimes, it's a very small voice, though, and if we aren't attentive, we may not hear it at all.

Maggie said...

do you think I lost any of the initial intent?

Glad you disagree with my poetry teachers assessment of what the reader/writer/publisher wants, and I agree that the poem knows where it wants to go.

I am going to try to send some things out. I haven't done that in many years. My ego being the fragile bird it is just doesn't know if it can bear more rejection, but I would like to try, and I trust your instincts and thoughts implicitly.

Anonymous said...

oh yes, do submit some! the print world can be hard on the ego, but only if one puts too much faith in human nature. most editors, i've found, are as ignorant and crass and judgmental as any of us -- just bear that in mind and you'll be okay.

Maggie said...

Thanks for the encouragement, hardrain (gotta a hard rain falling outside as I type this).

Now time to decide which journals to send things to and what things to send. That, in itself, is work!