Monday, June 23, 2008

Can't shake this

...cold. Got sick in FL and improved but never
stopped coughing. Now, I am coughing again,
only much worse. Spent all of yesterday and much
of the day before in bed, reading and trying to sleep,
but it's hard to sleep when you have chills and then
you have fever (or you're burning up sans fever but
burning just the same). My body can't seem to decide
if it's hot or cold. I'm sweating as I type this, but I'm cold.

Gonna give it a few more days and if there is no improvement,
well, guess it will be a trip to the doc (yuck!). I still think
Isaac and I are just passing germs to one another. He got
over pneumonia, but within 2 days of ending his antibiotics,
his nose start running and he started coughing again.

I had 14 people over for dinner last Tuesday night, and
he was coughing then. After he got home that night,
he started vomiting and diarrhea. Lo
and behold, that hit me in the middle of the night
Friday, and then my throat got sore on Friday
and then this awful cough started. To my knowledge,
no one else here that night has gotten sick except
he and I.

I had company in from Orlando (hubby's side of the family),
so I invited all of the close family members over for dinner.
Stuffed shells, salad, crusty bread with some dipping oil.
My sister-in-law brought Italian wedding cake and fresh
blueberries and strawberries to top it. We all ate too much
but had a good time.

***************************************

I am enjoying reading Levis. I only had Elegy
prior to ordering The Selected Levis. I'm not crazy
about the poems in Elegy but think I'll enjoy them more
after I've read some of the earlier work.

And Pilgrim at Tinker Creek (another Annie Dillard)
is an excellent read as well.

She tells the story of a Polyphemus moth cocoon
that one of her friends brought to school one cold
January day.

The kids were passing it around to one another
and warming it up in their hands. She says," The pupa
began to jerk, violently, in heart-stopping knocks."

The teacher put the cocoon in a Mason jar, and the moth,
warmed by the children's hands, began to emerge
from the cocoon. She says, "He couldn't spread his
wings. There was no room. The chemical that coated
his wings like varnish, stiffening them permanently,
dried, and hardened his wings as they were. He was
a monster in a Mason jar. Those huge wings stuck
on his back in a torture of random pleats and folds,
wrinkled as a dirty tissue, rigid as leather. They made
a single nightmare clump still wracked with useless,
frantic convulsions."

She concludes the story by saying that someone
let the moth go free and she saw him dragging
himself down the school's driveway.

I can't get the image of that moth out of my head.

The thought of this poor thing emerging before its time,
incapable of using its lovely wings, freed from the Mason
jar to walk away and die.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maggie, Around here pneumonia and bronchitis have been going around, or so says my mom's doc and both Hadley's pediatrician and cardiologist. Strange, being that this is summer. I hope you feel better soon.

I'm dying to get my hands on Elegy after having read "Louise in Love."

Maggie said...

I am enjoying The Selected Levis. I've read most of Elegy, and though I like most of the poems I've read, some of them don't really speak to me, but that's the case with many poets. It's a rare thing for me to like every poem in an entire book of poetry.

I hope I feel better soon, too. I hate these lingering things!

james said...

has anyone suggested that you might have walking pneumonia? god, i hope you went to the doc for his opinion/treatment.

Maggie said...

hubby thinks I might...no better but no worse today (well, I have a slight wheeze but the cough is about the same)...I usually give things the 2 week test--if it's not gone in 2 weeks then maybe I need to do something about it, so we'll see...I know I'm tired.

*sigh*

I have heard so many people talking about how many people they know who have pneumonia or bronchitis...seems an odd time of year for that, but it happens.

I think my grandson and I just keep passing this back and forth. He got over pneumonia but is now coughing again and has a temp...I'm more concerned about him, of course, but hopefully his is more allergy-related (I say hopefully, but allergies are a major bummer!).

james said...

here's something else i ran across today -- never heard of it before, but passing it along for what it may be worth. google this: nontuberculous mycobacterial disease

Maggie said...

Had not heard of it either--looked it up--sounds plausible that many folks have it/can get it.

Then there's histoplasmosis--Bob Dylan had that, as you may remember--you get it from bird droppings and lord knows I'm always moving around soil loaded with droppings...

I knew I should have listened to my ma when she told me to stop running behind the mosquito man truck...

Of course, cigarettes don't help--a habit I didn't indulge in until I was almost 40. The little cilia in my lungs are mighty upset with me for my bad habits...I'm trying to appease them by leaving off the cigs...

alas!

And, man, George Carlin's dead--what a bummer!

james said...

the mosquito man truck haha. oh, you.

Calder said...

Being sick in the summer is the worst. I sure hope you can kick it soon and get back to feeling good again. I have been so busy of late out of town two separate times... blah blah... so it's good to get back and read your blog. Take care, have a good weekend!

Maggie said...

Jim,

Oh the nights we spent running behind the Skeeter man, waving our hands in that fog and pretending we were in some horror movie...at that point in time, I don't think anyone thought too much about how harmful certain substances were (though my mom did tell me not to run behind the truck or play outside until the fog lifted--of course, I didn't listen!).

Those were the days when family vacations had the four of us kids (my youngest brother wasn't born until 1972, so there are five of us now) in the back seat and Mom and Dad up front puffing away on unfiltered Camels and Salems (windows closed)...people just didn't realize how bad that was then, and sadly, some people realize it now and don't care and smoke in the house, car, everywhere.

But you know what? None of us had any respiratory problems. We had colds on occasion, as any child does, but no bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, etc. even though my parents smoked in the house. Now look at all the kids with chronic respiratory problems. I think it's a combination of environmental pollutants and perhaps even overuse of antibiotics which have weakened our immune systems--I think it's more than that but more than I want to rattle on about!

Still coughing and getting really worn out with it, so I guess it's a trip to the Care center Mon.

Just going to take it easy again today. I sure am getting lots of reading done!


Calder,

Hope your out-of-town time has been for pleasure and that you are enjoying your summer...I know I will enjoy mine more when I get rid of this! I'm going stir crazy staying home every day!!!

Of course, gas makes taking any kind of trip rather cost-prohibitive, but I have a friend in Atlanta I plan to go see in a few weeks, so I am doing everything I can to get myself healthy again before I go visit.

I'm also really! missing my grandson but don't want to infect him (though I doubt I am infectious any longer), so I've stayed away until I feel better.

I got to see him for just a minute this morning. His mommy and daddy went to the Farmer's Market, and then stopped by here to get some of their mail, so I went out to the car to see him. He changes by the day, so when you miss a week, it's amazing how different they look, act, how much more they're talking, etc.

I barely remember mine at that age...seems like they should still be that age!

Boy do the years fly by! My baby is 17--hard for me to believe! Oldest (the one with the baby) is going to be 30 in July. Daughter just turned 27 last week.

Oh my, to be 27 again!