Reading Rilke (again) and oh so grateful for his words
Last night, I read this passage to my sweetest A.
She is so looking for answers right now and so struggling
to remember specifics, but she is also much better
and much more herself.
And Rilke came to mind as she was speaking, so I read
her this from Letters To A Young Poet:
Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and
try to love the questions themselves...Do not now seek
the answers which cannot be given you because you
would not be able to live them and the point is to live
everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will
then gradually, without noticing it, live along some
distant day into the answer.
I promised her I would mail her a copy of the book, along
with another book I would like her to have: Life's Companion:
Journal Writing as a Spiritual Quest. The author quotes
Rilke often, as well as others whose words have so moved
me in my life--Dante, D.H. Lawrence (makes me want to go
dig out his short stories and reread The Odor of Chrysanthemums),
Whitman, Anne Frank, Frank O'Hara, Joseph Campbell, Kafka,
and Carl Jung, to name a few.
It would behoove me to brush the dust off my old dog-eared copy
and start journeying again. I think it's part of the human
experience--a part we tend to ignore for various reasons.
********************************
I am grateful I got some decent sleep last night. It makes all the
difference.
**************************************
What I am thinking about today:
You have to go past the imagined image of [the sacred]. Such an
image of one's god becomes a final obstruction, one's ultimate
barrier. You hold on to your own ideology, your own little
manner of thinking, and when a larger experience of God
approaches, an experience greater than you are prepared
to receive, you take flight from it by clinging to the image
in your mind. This is known as preserving your faith...
I don't have faith; I have experience. I have experience
of the wonder of life.
Joseph Campbell
The Power of Myth
3 comments:
I've wanted to reak Rilke for a long time....
Interesting how Joseph is actually preserving his faith in the passage.
I wonder if he realized/realizes that.
Read some Rilke, Talia--try The Duino Elegies--quite beautiful
Maybe he is, Bill. I think he realized many things, but like many of us, perhaps not all of them were as clear at the moment as perhaps they became later.
Post a Comment