Sunday, November 09, 2008

A Polyphemus, for Laurel


3 comments:

LKD said...

This is a truly beautiful moth.

But it's not the moth my mother found in the wood chips.

After having looked at a slew of different moths online, and figuring out via trial and error that the moth she found is, like the Luna and Polyphemus, a giant silk moth, I'm not one hundred percent certain (it's kind of like trying on a bunch of different perfumes...after a while, you can't tell one from the other), but I think the moth she found was a Creopia, which I posted on my blog. Which doesn't have owl eyes on its wings. She may have bought another moth (to add to her collection....I think she now has 4 or five moths and butterflies) that had the owl-eyed wings, thus my confusion.

My goodness, all of these creatures are beautiful.

Jo A. T.B. said...

I agree these are really beautiful moths. Did you take the photo, are they in your neck of the woods? I had a photo on my blog, which was like a cross between a moth and a butterfly, it was also a beauty!

Maggie said...

Hi Jo,

I didn't take this photo. I found it on Google. Laurel and I were discussing moths and butterflies and she mentioned a moth with owl wings and I thought about this moth.

If you get a chance to read any Annie Dillard, read Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. You'll be blown away.