Last night or the night before was it, right? The largest full moon of the year?
It was cloudy here so I missed it.
I left this rather long comment for you over on my blog and decided to paste it here in case you miss it over yonder in my paw paw patch:
Maggie! I almost forgot. Do you watch the dead dog channel? (Animal Planet--I call it the dead dog channel because...well, hell, on all those animal cop shows, there are a lot of dead dogs, alas) There's a show on there called, I think, "It's Either Me or the Dog." Have you seen it? If not, damn, you should. Especially if Molly's still being her usual I'm so happy to see you that I'm going to jump all over you self. This woman, an British animal trainer, has, on 2 different episodes, trained a mastiff and a great dane--two GIANT dogs--how to NOT jump on people when they walk through the front door. It's truly damned amazing. It just takes a little patience. (both yours and the dog's) But it works. She used 2 different techniques. If you can catch the reruns--these episodes are running constantly--DO! Maybe there's a website, too.
Isn't it magnificent the full moon on a winters night, shinning down upon the white snow!
Hey I watch that dog channel too, she is really good at training the dogs. My Delilah is too old almost 14 to learn new tricks, I have to say that I always used the auck sound when I didn't want my dogs to get into stuff and they listened.
I watched the show again last night, and man, Maggie, this woman is damned amazing. She helped a couple with 4 dogs, none of which they had control of. Each dog had a different issue. One dog was very aggressive toward one of the other dogs, which in turn, caused the other dog to be very fearful and lack confidence. A third dog had control issues--basically, this dog went berserk whenever anyone walked by or drove by or rode by on a bike. Can't recall the other dog's issue. Still, she managed to teach this couple how to train their dogs and change their dogs' behaviors.
What I love about the show is how amazing the transformations are, for both the dogs AND the human beings. You can see that dogs really want to be told what to do, to have be controlled. They always seem so much happier after having been trained. And the people always seem much happier and more confident and content once they realize that they really are in control of their dogs.
I've noticed that one of this trainer's main training tricks is to redirect a dog's attention. If a dog starts barking and pulling on the leash while out for a walk, she just tugs the leash and turns the dog around and starts walking in the opposite direction. Or, with that crazy great dane that was nearly knocking his owners to the floor whenever they walked through the door, she'd stand on one side of the door and wait until the dog stopped waiting at the door for her to open it, then she'd open it and give the dog one of those treat balls with peanut butter in it, so the dog's attention was focused on food instead of her entering the doorway.
Really interesting to watch how quickly and eagerly these dogs respond to training. (Just recalled that last night, the 4th dog wasn't very socialized, and was also not food or treat motivated, so she used a ball to train the dog because the dog was all about getting the ball.)
I think that what's so compelling about the show is that this trainer is training both the dogs AND the people.
I saw it...no clouds to obscure it here. It seemed larger than usual, but perception plays a part in everything in our lives.
I do think you are right, however, that the full moon before the winter equinox is the largest.
I do watch APL, and I have seen the woman you mentioned. Matter of fact, I watched her tonight. She's the female Milano, I suppose.
Very helpful. The thing with dogs, as with people (little people or big people) is to develop a sense of trust and to know who wants to lead and who wants to follow and to go from there.
No, dogs are better than humans. They are better at letting themselves be free of certain burdens--like being alpha. It's not always about leading and following. It's more about what level of comfort they experience in their lives. It takes time to get them there (and I won't say "obedient" though I think it--damn if I won't do all I can to not break Molly's spirit, but it's not spirit we're talking about--it's comfort), but it can be done.
Unfortunately, Molly is still a jumper. If I know someone is coming, I will hold her collar, have her sit, and then tell her what a good dog she is for listening. But the minute I let the collar go, she's jumping all over everybody and pissing herself to boot...way more fun than a person deserves to have on any given night! Knocking a dog off people and keeping her from peeing all over their shoes, pants, etc.
Oh well. I keep trying.
Jo,
Sleeting now and school is already called off for tomorrow. KY does not know how to handle inclement weather though we spend big bucks for winter prep.
Talia,
I love it! Mira la luna, indeed! I am a moon watcher and always shall be. Viva la luna!!!!!
5 comments:
Thank you for this.
Last night or the night before was it, right? The largest full moon of the year?
It was cloudy here so I missed it.
I left this rather long comment for you over on my blog and decided to paste it here in case you miss it over yonder in my paw paw patch:
Maggie! I almost forgot. Do you watch the dead dog channel? (Animal Planet--I call it the dead dog channel because...well, hell, on all those animal cop shows, there are a lot of dead dogs, alas) There's a show on there called, I think, "It's Either Me or the Dog."
Have you seen it? If not, damn, you should. Especially if Molly's still being her usual I'm so happy to see you that I'm going to jump all over you self. This woman, an British animal trainer, has, on 2 different episodes, trained a mastiff and a great dane--two GIANT dogs--how to NOT jump on people when they walk through the front door. It's truly damned amazing. It just takes a little patience. (both yours and the dog's) But it works. She used 2 different techniques. If you can catch the reruns--these episodes are running constantly--DO! Maybe there's a website, too.
Isn't it magnificent the full moon on a winters night, shinning down upon the white snow!
Hey I watch that dog channel too, she is really good at training the dogs. My Delilah is too old almost 14 to learn new tricks, I have to say that I always used the auck sound when I didn't want my dogs to get into stuff and they listened.
Have a good weekend! :)
I watched the show again last night, and man, Maggie, this woman is damned amazing. She helped a couple with 4 dogs, none of which they had control of. Each dog had a different issue. One dog was very aggressive toward one of the other dogs, which in turn, caused the other dog to be very fearful and lack confidence. A third dog had control issues--basically, this dog went berserk whenever anyone walked by or drove by or rode by on a bike. Can't recall the other dog's issue. Still, she managed to teach this couple how to train their dogs and change their dogs' behaviors.
What I love about the show is how amazing the transformations are, for both the dogs AND the human beings. You can see that dogs really want to be told what to do, to have be controlled. They always seem so much happier after having been trained. And the people always seem much happier and more confident and content once they realize that they really are in control of their dogs.
I've noticed that one of this trainer's main training tricks is to redirect a dog's attention. If a dog starts barking and pulling on the leash while out for a walk, she just tugs the leash and turns the dog around and starts walking in the opposite direction. Or, with that crazy great dane that was nearly knocking his owners to the floor whenever they walked through the door, she'd stand on one side of the door and wait until the dog stopped waiting at the door for her to open it, then she'd open it and give the dog one of those treat balls with peanut butter in it, so the dog's attention was focused on food instead of her entering the doorway.
Really interesting to watch how quickly and eagerly these dogs respond to training. (Just recalled that last night, the 4th dog wasn't very socialized, and was also not food or treat motivated, so she used a ball to train the dog because the dog was all about getting the ball.)
I think that what's so compelling about the show is that this trainer is training both the dogs AND the people.
I'll shut up now. (grin)
Yep, I saw that. My daughter has always loved pointing out the moon. One of her first spanish phrases was "mira la luna!"
Laurel,
I saw it...no clouds to obscure it here. It seemed larger than usual, but perception plays a part in everything in our lives.
I do think you are right, however, that the full moon before the winter equinox is the largest.
I do watch APL, and I have seen the woman you mentioned. Matter of fact, I watched her tonight. She's the female Milano, I suppose.
Very helpful. The thing with dogs, as with people (little people or big people) is to develop a sense of trust and to know who wants to lead and who wants to follow and to go from there.
No, dogs are better than humans. They are better at letting themselves be free of certain burdens--like being alpha. It's not always about leading and following. It's more about what level of comfort they experience in their lives. It takes time to get them there (and I won't say "obedient" though I think it--damn if I won't do all I can to not break Molly's spirit, but it's not spirit we're talking about--it's comfort), but it can be done.
Unfortunately, Molly is still a jumper. If I know someone is coming, I will hold her collar, have her sit, and then tell her what a good dog she is for listening. But the minute I let the collar go, she's jumping all over everybody and pissing herself to boot...way more fun than a person deserves to have on any given night! Knocking a dog off people and keeping her from peeing all over their shoes, pants, etc.
Oh well. I keep trying.
Jo,
Sleeting now and school is already called off for tomorrow. KY does not know how to handle inclement weather though we spend big bucks for winter prep.
Talia,
I love it! Mira la luna, indeed!
I am a moon watcher and always shall be. Viva la luna!!!!!
Post a Comment