Sunday, December 28, 2008

Star Block

There is no such thing
as star block.
We do not think of
locking out the light
of other galaxies.
It is light
so rinsed of impurities
(heat, for instance)
that it excites
no antibodies in us.
Yet people are
curiously soluble
in starlight.
Bathed in its
absence of insistence
their substance
loosens willingly,
their bright
designs dissolve.
Not proximity
but distance
burns us with love.

Kay Ryan

******************************

My daughter gave me Kay Ryan's Say Uncle
for Christmas. I was telling her a few weeks
ago that I had never read any of the work of
the new Poet Laureate of the US, so she choose
this selection. Haven't decided yet how much
I like her, but I like the poem above.

It makes me think about a comment someone
made one time about how ridiculous he found
the old saying absence makes the heart grow fonder
to be. He's one of those people you meet who think they
are right most of the time, so I went along with him,
but I do think there is something to be said
for the longing that comes with absence.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have that book on my to-read shelf. I hope to get to it soon.

I can vouch for the fondness I feel for my 3 year old. She drives me crazy, as any toddler, but the moment we're apart I'm wondering what she's doing. When I see another child her age, I long for my Hadley.

Jo A. T.B. said...

I know what you mean about a lot of the verse written today. I feel it just doesn't resonate within me. Like I said before, I long to read passionate moving poetry. Maybe I just belong in another century!

I do like Star Block poem especially the ending. I do believe in the Heart grows fonder saying. Time apart gives you time to appreciate the wonderful qualities of loved ones!

Hey I like your bigger picture! Happy New Year Maggie!

Maggie said...

Talia,

I like here work. Yet, I am not entirely sure it's work I am going to love. But you never know. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Jo,

I like much of what it written today but find I am staying with my favorite poets and not venturing out much. Give me Kenyon, Wright, Laux, Collins, Pastan, Levis, Rich, and some others and I'm a pretty happy camper.

That being said, I feel I need to branch out a bit. I like many aspects of Ryan's work. She says a lot with very few words. Not an altogether easy thing to do.