Sunday, August 30, 2009












Goodbye, Old Boy
Dante', March 1998-August 2009

8 comments:

Jo A. T.B. said...

What a beautiful Tabby you had there Maggie. He looked like a big one! I'm so sorry for your loss, they all have their own personalities don't they!

LKD said...

Thank you for posting this lovely photograph.

And thanks too, for posting that wonderful, aching Strand poem.

Maggie said...

He was a beauty. That picture was taken a few years ago. Recently, he looked like he had lost a lot of weight, but when I took him to the vet, he still weighed 14.5 lbs. The vet said he looked thin because his body was redefining itself (much like any 80 yr old body will do). I told the vet I was worried about his behavior of late--didn't want to come in much, liked to sleep in the sun on the driveway, didn't like to be held, was getting scabby all over again from dermatitis. I asked him if we should give him some steroids and he told me to just let him do his thing, that he had earned that right, and that he was in good health.

It's been a week since is death. I still look for him every time I pull into the driveway, and every time I back out. I still expect to see him at the back door when I get up in the morning.

Thanks, you two. And Laurel, I agree--the Strand poem is wonderful and aching. Always been one I go to again and again.

LKD said...

I thought Elmo had lost weight 2 years ago at age 12. He always looked so big boned and sturdy at 13 pounds and he seemed to be wasting away.

But as your vet told you, my vet told me that it was just a redistribution of weight.

He looks thin to me but he still weighs 12 going on 13 pounds.

He still gives Bob a run for his money. I swear to god, every night when I turn out the lights, it turns into wrestlemania in the living room. They take turns pinning each other.

Jo A. T.B. said...

You know Maggie,

They tend to loose their hearing too when they get older. My Bones lost his hearing and we had to watch him closely! Maybe your baby didn't hear you!

You know my OP is 17-18 pounds! You'll always miss him!

I've been keeping up with the Tiger Ranch story here in PA, and they're adopting out the cats! I'm not sure if they transport animals, you can call if interested!

Maggie said...

Dante and Oreo rarely played. He liked to groom her, though, and was doing so regularly until Molly came along. Many things changed when we got Molly. Dante adjusted to her but never liked her. Oreo is trying, but Molly's just too exhuberant (and that's putting it nicely) and too large to be much of a playmate for Oreo.

No more cats for me. I'll keep my little Oreo and just leave it at that, but thanks for the info, Jo. There are so many waiting to be adopted, but I just don't want another animal now.

Our Humane Society has come under scrutiny--thankfully one of the new board members would not stand by and let things keep going on the way they had--for euthanizing 79% of the animals brought to the shelter. Compared to other counties, the %age is mind-boggling. For example, a larger county which borders ours has a 54% kill rate, and a smaller one which borders ours has a 38% rate. All of those numbers are high, but this county is appallingly and disturbingly high.

Things are changing, though. Enough community outrage and support for change is starting to make a difference.

Calder said...

Sorry to read this news Maggie, tough one.

If the Humane Society didn't spend 85% of their profit on anti hunting lobbying, that kill percentage could be improved. Now, I am not a hunter, but seems like they could take care of their own a bit better.

Hope you are doing well.

Smiles!

Maggie said...

Calder,

Good to see you, friend! This atrocity has thankfully been brought to the attention of the citizens of this town, and though the president of the board is doing nothing to change things, she is been held accoutable. I hope for change soon. Until then, many people in this community are driving an hour or more to take unwanted pets to a no kill shelter.

Hope you are well. So good to see you here!
M