Thursday, January 21, 2010

The truth knocks on the door and you say, go away, I'm looking for the truth, and it goes away. Puzzling.

Robert Pirsig


4 comments:

LKD said...

The truth has been knocking on my door since I graduated with my useless BA.

I finally decided to open that door and listen to what the truth had to say.

And the truth told me to go back to school.

So even though money is tight, I am.

Finally.

Took me long enough.

Maggie said...

Yay!!!! I am so excited to hear that, Laurel! MFA?

I am still waiting for the truth.

I keep sending it away.

As Pirsig says, Puzzling.

LKD said...

Nope. No MFA.

I'd have to actually be writing to attempt that.

Plus be super rich or endowed by the super rich.

I'm going to a technical college for medical billing and coding. I'm sorely interested in transcription too but can only enroll in one program at a time.

The transcription jobs around here seem few and far between so I'll sit on my hands and wait it out while I tackle the coding.

Plenty of jobs for that and no shortage in sight in the future.

I'm only taking one class this semester because I registered the Friday before first week of class and it was the only class open. I would've taken two or three. It's a Saturday class. Thought I'd hate getting up on a day off to go to school, but I'm still a total fool for school, always was and always will be (hell, I'm looking forward to turning 60 because then you can take classes at most universities for fucking FREE!!!). I damned love it.

It feels good to feel my brain working again. I forgot, thanks to my thankless job and the general sense of directionless and hopelessness to which I'd succumbed that I really am halfway intelligent.


First test in Saturday. I'm scared. No panicky scared. Just scared like I always was before a test. Excited scared.

(You have no idea how much I love going to school, and have since I started kindergarten. The only time I loathed it was in jr high and high school thanks to daily bullying that went on from 7th through the end of 10th grade and even then, art and english and choir kept me loving school even as I hated having to face the people who were making my life miserable on a daily basis.)

One silly class and I swear, I feel invigorated again.

Maggie said...

I am excited for you! There are days I miss going to school, but it was so difficult to work full time, raise a family, and go to school. Add to that all the responsibilities that go along with child-rearing and taking care of a home, and it was just overwhelming at times.

I have always loved to learn and share that excitement with you.

Even if you are not writing now, you have such a large body of work I would think you could jump right in, but I guess not, huh? And I know it is terribly expensive. I just think you and MFA go together well!

I have a friend who transcribed for Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville for a number of years. She had a BFA from NYU, but transcription is what paid off for her. She worked from home, set her own hours, made some decent money, and had some time to think about what else she wanted to do with her life. She will complete her PhD in Toxicology in March. So, you never know in this life--you just gotta make some decisions when the truth comes knocking and go with it!

I know you'll do fine on your first test! Enjoy the semester and the classes. One day when things settle down a bit and I know more about what I want to be when I grow up, I shall return to the classroom!