Sunday in Macon
My mother, nearly blind
from cataracts, follows me
through the courtyard. The pool
is covered in its winter black tarp.
from cataracts, follows me
through the courtyard. The pool
is covered in its winter black tarp.
Though I assume she cannot see
this closure of a season, she finds
a reason to remark: "How many
little feet must have trod this path
this closure of a season, she finds
a reason to remark: "How many
little feet must have trod this path
all summer." And I think, "People
see what they want to see even when
they cannot see." But I only follow
her comment with some helpful
see what they want to see even when
they cannot see." But I only follow
her comment with some helpful
advice. This way, Mom. Step up
here, turn right there, the coffee's
over here, the doughnuts are old,
the milk outdated at the Deluxe Buffett.
here, turn right there, the coffee's
over here, the doughnuts are old,
the milk outdated at the Deluxe Buffett.
And she just follows me, listens to my
advice like I'm a sage or a saint. Gives
herself in her stockinged feet to my
every suggestion. I even tell her
advice like I'm a sage or a saint. Gives
herself in her stockinged feet to my
every suggestion. I even tell her
which container is the strawberry
jelly, which button is caffeinated coffee,
which chair is clear of crumbs
and relatively safe to sit in. I almost
jelly, which button is caffeinated coffee,
which chair is clear of crumbs
and relatively safe to sit in. I almost
unwrap the jelly and start spreading
it on her toast before the oddity of this new
role halts my hand as quickly as a hand-
smack for disobeying, whose phantom sting
haunts the skin's surface long after childhood ends.
it on her toast before the oddity of this new
role halts my hand as quickly as a hand-
smack for disobeying, whose phantom sting
haunts the skin's surface long after childhood ends.
No comments:
Post a Comment