Yes, Mr Ashbery, Asters Bloom One Way or the Other
However, they don't always bloom in this yard,
no matter the time I take, the perfect blend of manure
and fertilizer, the dead-heading and the watering.
no matter the time I take, the perfect blend of manure
and fertilizer, the dead-heading and the watering.
Interestingly enough, they tend to do better untended.
Which amuses me somewhat but frustrates me more.
Am I not needed? Are these hands--daring to go ungloved
Which amuses me somewhat but frustrates me more.
Am I not needed? Are these hands--daring to go ungloved
into the black earth, exposing themselves to shards
of old clay, brick, and glass--not enough? I am not squeamish
and don't mind touching the underbelly nor the topside
of old clay, brick, and glass--not enough? I am not squeamish
and don't mind touching the underbelly nor the topside
of an earthworm, but it's the forgetting them there in the hot
sun that gets to me. I--slaving for hours to perfect my aster
garden--only think of them when it's time to put the shovel
sun that gets to me. I--slaving for hours to perfect my aster
garden--only think of them when it's time to put the shovel
and hoe away for the day and I discover what I think is an old
rubber band there next to my beaten-up New Balance. Being
the child I still am with the need to touch things that sometimes
rubber band there next to my beaten-up New Balance. Being
the child I still am with the need to touch things that sometimes
hurt me, I lift a shriveled body up to eye-level and think of the loss,
eyes darting back down to the cool soft ground to search for more
casualties. Mr. Ashbery, I think I just realized why the asters thrive
eyes darting back down to the cool soft ground to search for more
casualties. Mr. Ashbery, I think I just realized why the asters thrive
without worm-killer me--me who can't even let a worm go honorably
to its death. Kindness has its place and sympathy cannot always hold
its hand in understanding even as it holds the fragments of loss.
to its death. Kindness has its place and sympathy cannot always hold
its hand in understanding even as it holds the fragments of loss.
No comments:
Post a Comment