In The Wake
The dog sleeps on the area rug near my feet.
It is in shades of eggplant, gold, and light
green. She is easy now after a day of pain
and too much excitement. She can feel
the tension in my body lifting, three drinks
and some chips into evening. We all choose
our battles. I hate cliches, but that particular
one rings true, true as my phone going off
beside me, someone, most likely my youngest,
responding to my comment about buying
more toilet paper and hand sanitizer, the new
virus encroaching, the seemingly nonchalant
responses I have rendering me to something
of a skeptic. I have more to say, but I want
to look at this message. I want to say--go,
love your life, keep going, always keep
going. And, I will, and I will sleep this night
with the mother's fear of all invaders to her
children's happiness and health doing
their best to wreck her, to wreck life, to create
new pathways to all of the radical unknowns.
No comments:
Post a Comment