Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I'm drunk

and when is the last time you can remember
that you didn't try to get drunk?

I can't remember.

What is drunk? Who is an alcoholic?

****************************************

Once upon a time there was a girl. Beautiful
but unfit. She didn't fit in anywhere.

She wore hiphuggers and ....
what were those tops called? They were only
a small piece of fabric wrapped around the neck
and across the back. No bra. Halters? Maybe?

************************************

Once upon a time there was a girl.
She wore hiphuggers and halters.
The boys whistled at her from thier cars
and drove slowly down the streets
as she walked on. Her beauty became
the thorn in the proverbial paw.

I am confusing characters now. The mouse
aided the mighty king of beasts by removing
the proverbial thorn. There was no mention
of a lioness. But I am digresssssssssssing,
I fear.

Back to the garden. The garden I found
in my mother's closet. Adam and Eve
leaves to cover the beauty. Leaves to cover.
Leaves that fall every year and cover
beauty. Leaves that are beautiful.

But I digress again. My mother's closet.
My father's death. My inability to stay
sober long enough to think things through.

Through is just a word. Through is not
always through. It may be a passage.
It may be a destination.

It may be simply and all alone
just a word.

I am not through. I am somewhere in between
through and though. R dropped and justly
so. I am though. And drunk. And the keys
don't care and my fingers can still play

and tonight there are meteor showers
I planned to watch and may still, though
I may be out there to lose the spirits,
my face intently leaning toward the ground.

Through it all, however, I think I shall
still be asking why am I and am I.

3 comments:

jz said...

I was right with you last night -- except for the stars.

Maggie said...

You know what? Drunk as I was, I still went outside and watched the meteor showers. It was a beautiful sight to see. All those intermittent streaks across the black velvet sky. I was too drunk to be cold (actually, it was very warm here last night considering it's December--low of 38 or so, I think).

Been paying for my evil ways all day long. Yuck!

Hey, I tried to go to your blog the other day and all kinds of weird shit kept happening. Is it up and going now?

jz said...

I trashed the blog not knowing that strange things would happen to those who tried to go there....

my new blog is here

http://betweentheinvisiblelandscapes.blogspot.com/