Saturday, August 04, 2007

Regarding Anecdotes

I am sure I never
placed a jar upon a hill
in Tennessee, but I walked
up a hill to a party one night
in Tennessee, if that counts,
and as the party wound down
(or the party goers fell down),
I found my way to a garden,
deeply scented with rosemary
and lavender, and I lay down
upon an old lawn
chair thinking I was alone
with the garden and the night
only to find this very young
man, who was full of booze
and small talk, who had come
from the alleys and attitudes,
who was dark-haired and quite beautiful,
hovering above me, making somewhat
laughable passes at me, there in the chair,
in Tennessee. And so I rose
from the chair, his hands
a strange comfort beneath the smooth
white pits of my underarms,
and at the height of a moment,
I slipped and he fell,
and the chair remained.
And I don't think the garden
had any regard for either of us.

(My thanks to Wallace Stevens)

7 comments:

james said...

maggie! it's just a lovely piece!

Maggie said...

Thanks, jim. I had fun with it!

I was reading The Collected Poems of Wallace Stevens and came across his Anecdote of a Jar. Though I've read that poem many times, and a poem of my own has crossed my mind after reading it, one just never made its way onto paper before.

Should I give him a nod at the end or something? I am unsure if that is necessary or just simply expected.

Anonymous said...

This is great!

james said...

yrs has so little to do with the stevens, i would suggest cutting any reference to him at all, including the 1st two lines, and begin it with i walked up a hill etc.
it's so very much your own work that i wouldn't give him so much as a nod. jim

Maggie said...

Thanks, Talia!

And jim, I'll think about what you said. Even though I was inspired to write this after reading Wally, you're right--it's not like his, but I do like the intro and don't know about losing it.
Hmmmm....decisions, decisions!

james said...

have to go with your instincts, maggie, otherwise you be biting your nails forever over the thing. i still wouldn't make a ref to stevens, though -- let the reader figure it out.

Maggie said...

thanks, jim...I think I will indeed just let the reader figure it out...appreciate your input!