The Ice Storm Cometh
Indeed it did. Been home since Monday. Was just
leaving for work when the ice started. School
was called off early, so I was fairly certain we were
going to get some stuff, and we did, so Ididn't make
the 28 mile trip to work. Didn't want to be stuck
in storm-ravaged Greenville (tornado hit there last
Tuesday). Mess over there and no hotels (at least, none
close to the office). So, I stayed home.
My trees look a lot like the picture posted below.
During the early morning hours on Tuesday,
after our power went out, I heardthis loud crack
and knew a large branch was coming down. Then, I heard
more cracking. It went on for about 30 minutes as
several large branches kept falling, but
thankfully they missed the house and the heat
and air unit. Power was out for about 6 hours--
we were lucky. Still people here without power,
this now the second day, with temps around 22.
It's beautiful to look at, but it sure does make things
difficult. Then last night, we had snow on top of the
ice, so I am not going anywhere today either.
It's hard to even take Molly for a walk...I need a pair
of cleats or something for traction. I basically let
her pull me along yesterday. I guess you could say
I was dog skiing (and it was kind of fun), but I don't want
to risk breaking a leg or an arm, so we are just going
to the backyard to do the duty thing, and then back in.
Think I'll just go read for awhile. Got the new issue
of Poetry--want to read the Louise Gluck poems.
Will finish Crime and Punishment today, I think.
I wonder why I never read that. I started it years
ago and didn't finish it. It is quite fascinating.
No comments:
Post a Comment