Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Unwilling

Shingles cover the rounded walkway
leading to the screened-in porch,
and even beyond and about--in the middle
of the sedum I didn't cut back this fall,
in front of the pansies, atop the hyacinths,
three feet from the knockout rose bush
my mom and dad planted the last year
of my father's life. It's been warm enough
to remove them, to uncover the covered,
to ship-shape the yard again so it looks
like someone who lives here cares, but the effort
has been greater than the desire, so I just
look at them from the porch windows,
from the street when I pull into the driveway,
from the rock wall when I sneak my smoke
out back in Daddy's garden, all the time
thinking I'm making some kind of point,
some mini rebellion, some statement
about who I am. But who I am has no idea
about how much she'll take, sitting here
alone, the need to hurt wearing itself
out like my old Hoover, clogged and filled
with the little sentiments neglect deposits
on all the days spent unmoved, no lover
or friend to make the willing worth doing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
james said...

i keep reading this one. and the close hits me right in the heart. it took me a lifetime to learn what others seemed always to know for themselves: that a life without love is no life at all. perhaps that is not what the poem means to say at all, but that's what poems do: they speak for us as well as to us.

Maggie said...

yes, jim, that is what this is saying...

thanks for stopping by, reading me, and sharing your thoughts...I always look forward to hearing from you...

hope to read some of your work again soon

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.001casino.com/]online casino[/url] coincide the latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/]online casino[/url] unshackled no deposit bonus at the leading [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]baywatch casino
[/url].