When I'm Not Sure How To Answer
My son and I discuss our favorite
Flannery story and find that we think
more alike than we know how to acknowledge,
at least immediately. He asks me about
underlying themes, why her stories
are always so sad, why nothing good
ever comes until it's too late. I want to tell
him that I know why, that I've read enough
and thought enough and lived enough
to know, but I just make one of those screwed-
up eyebrow faces and say, What do you think?
And he, who has grown accustomed to a mother
who either knows some things or fakes it well
enough to play a trump and be convincing now
and then, shrugs his shoulders and lifts those black
eyebrows at me and says he isn't sure but maybe
he thinks it's a southern thing, writing about decay,
about losing what you thought mattered, about an entire
way of life shifting abruptly and loosening the foundations
from the red earth keeping them part of the whole.
I shrug my tired shoulders and nod and think
how my heart aches for him already, that he should
know these things and want to know more, want
to digest and invest in a life of books and characters,
a life lived through the eyes and words of a woman
who gave me Macon and Greenleaf, a deaf girl abandoned,
a young man blinding himself in search of truth,
a woman with a fancy hat on a bus in a city unkind,
whose real life took her to Fire Island and The Hamptons,
who could never escape, nor would if she could, the bold
untamed places in the heart many fear to visit, the place
the lonely and disquieted spirits come to again and again.
4 comments:
i've been wanting to comment on this, on how wonderful your relationship is with your son, and how, in sharing o'connor's work, the love between you just shines out all over.
I so enjoy him, as I do my other children, but they don't live at home anymore (well, my oldest and his family are hre until they move into their new house).
He's my baby, and we've had more time to share certain things together. I love his love of literature and how open he is to all styles and how excited he is to talk with me, and with others, about what he's read. And he values what I think, as I value what he thinks. He's smart, funny, laid back (for the most part), caring, and interesting to know. I feel honored that he gives me that time as I know there are many parents whose teenagers don't talk to them at all.
Sometimes he sees things I never saw in some of the books and poems he reads and we discuss.
He just read The Lame Enter Heaven First night before last and we talked it over yesterday. I think he's definitely another O'Connor fan.
You know how it is with Flannery--she just gets under your skin and in your brain and to the marrow and makes you really examine who you are and how you think and about all the forces in the universe conspiring together to bring us to our own place of redemption, salvation, atonement...
Glad you took the time to comment...at some point I am going to shape up these little snippets of my day and maybe try to send a few out
i'm reminded of carson mcculler's member of the wedding, of frankie's phrase "the we of me," in the way that you and he illumine o'connor, and she illumines you.
another favorite of mine...what a lovely thing for you think of as you read this
the we of me...
McCullers is next on his to-read list...I don't think he'll be disappointed--matter of fact, I think he'll find himself smitten with her...
btw,
how have you been feeling? Better, I sincerely hope...
Post a Comment