The Last Lecture
I just read about this guy the other day and took
some time to watch part of his lecture on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo
I think anyone would get something from watching
some part of this, if not all of it.
It's too easy to get bogged down in the day-to-day
problems--the economy, the job market, the price
of gas, the continuing war(s) in Afghanistan and Iraq,
the heartbreak of losing our loved ones, the despondency
we feel as people we thought we could trust to be there
for us for the long haul leave us--
but I digress and miss the point of the lecture in such
digression...I need to let those folks go and wish them
well and think more about myself and what I can do
for me that no one else can.
I need to think about my dreams--what they were
way back when and what they are now and where I lost
sight of what matters.
Bitterness can eat us to the core. We must be careful.
I plan to listen to Randy more than once. I would say
he lived what seems to me a rather charmed life--
well-adjusted, good parenting, emotional and intellectual
support and stimulation, positive attitude, a profession
he loved, a wife and children with whom he was very close,
and even toward the end, knowing there was no way to
survive his pancreatic cancer, he refused to let that
drag him down.
Maybe not a charmed life, but certainly a charming man.
Work to do now. Not leaving until tomorrow morning--
daughter has to work later than she thought and we
don't want to arrive at Hilton Head at 2-3 AM, so I have
more time today to get my clothes washed and packed
and rest a bit. Very, very tired. What's new?
*************************
Had an email--someone asking why I deleted this post.
Did not realize that I had or can't remember now why I did.
So, here it is.
And I am back. And Hilton Head Island
stories are going to have to wait until tomorrow or when
I feel like writing them.
Some once in a lifetime moments happened for some
of us there.
And each of us will carry some aspect of this trip with us
for our entire lives.
More to come about touching the barnacles on a sea
turtle's back at 3 AM as she was making her way back
to the sea after laying her eggs, about the dolphins
no more than 15 ft from where we were standing
in the ocean, the sand dollars spawning, the apologies
shared, and the laughter--oh my...I laughed so hard
last night that my sides hurt the rest of the evening.
Now time to pet Molly, who missed me a great deal
and to look over the mail, papers, etc. Been here for
at least an hour and a half, but I have been visiting
with hubby and son, unloading the car, watering
some plants, and lots of other things.
Watch the lecture. I don't think you'll be sorry.
Thanks for the email asking why.
No comments:
Post a Comment