Sunday, October 05, 2008

Update

I went off on the happiness tangent Sunday and posted the
mess below--a diatribe of sorts. Within 5 minutes of posting
it, my sister called me. Her best friend's son was killed in action
in Iraq. Her friend had been notified about 30 minutes before
I posted this ridiculous thing about happy people.

Her son was also one of my daughter's high school friends.
They didn't hang out often, but often enough that they
were good friends.

It's been days of calls and taking food and trying to arrange
travel and that sort of thing. I know his mother and father
well. I didn't know him well. Long story. Send prayers.
Light candles. Whatever you believe offers comfort.

Been in training all day and will be all day tomorrow.
I will be working, when I am on call, at a psychiatric
hospital. The training is designed to help us know some
techniques to use when we are verbally or physically
assualted. Much, much to learn.

Heart heavy. Tired. Wondering what it all means.

and so here is the Sunday post I pulled--it is clearly
so ridiculous I don't know why I am posting it.

LIfe. Ever changing. Who ever knows.

Where are the happy people?

I wonder. I know people who seem content
with their lives. I know people who enjoy going
places, doing things, their work, their families,
their lives. I know people who have a positive attitude
about life in general. And I know people who laugh
often and laugh robustly and who never seem to take
themselves or this life too seriously, but happy? Maybe
those are the happy people.

happy: Lots to read about happy. Let's try this.

unhappy: Pretty much just a matter of adding "un" before many
words under the happy definition.

Just what in the hell is happy? Is there a happiness gene?
If so, it didn't make its way into my system.

But the point of this little rambling message is not to belabor
my unhappiness. Just to wonder. About happiness or the lack
thereof.

I don't even think I can finish reading Learned Optimism. It's
boring me to death at this point. I guess if I were more optimistic,
I would believe the best of the book is yet to come, but he hasn't
given me any reason to think so thus far.

*****************************

A friend came over for dinner and a movie last night. I wasn't
crazy about the movie. She said we needed to lighten up and watch
something light. She chose Guess Who. I was largely rather bored
through the whole thing and didn't find any of it particularly funny
or even mildly interesting. However, after the movie was over,
we watched the first 20 minutes or so of SNL. Once again, Tina Fey
had me in stitches. I can say that Sarah Palin has done this for the
country--given us some much needed comic relief. Here's
what another friend sent to me about Palin in an email
I got yesterday:

Palin has revealed her real self in the Gibson and Couric interviews, and clearly knows nothing and offers only rubbery expressions and glib repetition, for all the world like a rasping myna bird, of a stream of memorized slogans that sound as though they were disinterred from a time capsule originally buried in William F. Buckley Jr.'s back yard several decades ago.

**************************************************

Speaking of Palin, did anyone notice during the debate
how many times the camera panned behind the podia?
If I recall correctly, we never had any a** shots of McCain
and Obama. Nor did we see any of Joe Biden's
backside as the camera panned only Sarah Palin's rear end. I suppose
we are to note the size of the ankles, the small waist, the perky butt.

My friend said that she could not, in good conscience, cast her vote
this November until America got the same opportunity to check out
the guys' rear ends. She suggested they wear speedos or biker shorts
for the next debate, and then perhaps, she could make her decision.

Good point!

******************************

I have only worked three days. I am having some pretty messed up
dreams. I always dream quite vividly, but these have been stranger
than usual.

There is just such a damn boatload of hurt out there
and I just can't figure out why people have to suffer
the way they do. I know on a macro scale, suffering
is rampant, and the degrees to which people suffer varies, but
I am speaking more today about the people I meet in my community--
the people who are very deeply wounded. I'm not talking about the
"worried well" (I fit that category--my name would be beside the
definition). I'm talking about stuff I'm gonna stop talking about!

Boatload of hurt, folks.

Wow. What an uplifting entry today. I'll just add some more to it
with some quotes (one of which Laurel had on her blog not too long
ago):

Then trust me, there's nothing like drinking
So pleasant this side of the grave;
It keeps the unhappy from thinking,
And makes e'en the valiant more brave.
—Diaz, Porfirio



One is never as unhappy as one thinks, nor as happy as one hopes.
—La Rochefoucauld, Fran c° ois, 6th Duc de



All happy families resemble each other; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
—Tolstoy, Leo Nikolayevich

7 comments:

LKD said...

If it is true, and yes, I guess it is, that there is a boatload, a fucking Titanic of hurt out there in the world, it comforts me, does my little Grinch heart good to know that there are people out there who are rowing like crazy, plugging the leaks, whatever it takes to lessen that hurt. You're an oar. You're a lifeboat. You're a lighthouse. God bless you for deciding to take the walk you're taking. It's a brave and honorable and selfless thing you're doing. I'm proud to know you.

I'm so sorry to read of your sad news. We're all so consumed with the economy going down in flames, and an election that is mere weeks away that I think we've all forgotten that our boys and girls, our men and women, our sons and daughters and mothers and fathers are over there dying for us.

Maggie said...

Can't sleep tonight, Laurel. I know I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow (long drive too) but I just can't sleep.

If I am to be the oar, then I must be easy enough to be handled and strong enough to handle the elements. I hope you are right.

I feel my strength is being tested in ways I've never known before.

Your belief in me gives me an optimism I much need. I thank you. For your belief and for your thoughts about Patrick and all of the other men and women.

I am so against this war. It does not mean I don't support our men and women.


I can't say he never really got to live, because life is not just about the number of years we have here--it is about how we live them, and based on what I know about him, he packed a lot of living into 27 years.

He would have been 28 on 11/05--one day after my 50th birthday.

I shall try to focus on the oar. Hard to get very far without it.

Thank you, thank you. Bless you. If you read this tonight, ask the powers that be to let the oar rest for a night.

Much love to you, dear Laurel.

Calder said...

I hate the war and that so many young lives are being ended. I am so sorry to hear about the friend of your family. My thoughts and prayers for him and all of you.

Be strong my friend!!! One day at a time is all any of us can do.

Jo A. T.B. said...

Seems death is wrapping on a lot of doors lately. Very much so here too in the past 2 years.

How horrible to die so young, we don't realize how dangerous it is over there. I couldn't even imagine the loss of a child, and dire devastation that country is also suffering!

I saw your post yesterday in my dashboard, but was not showing up on your blog! Oh well it's ok now!

Try to get some rest, the world need you! I will too, mIss sickly!

Maggie said...

Thanks Calder and Jo for your thoughts.

As Laurel said, I think we tend to lose sight or not think as much about the war as we once did, but when the death of a loved one who was fighting for this country hits home, it's a very sobering and mind-numbing experience.

karen said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of the loved one. My "adopted" son will be deployed next year.

Maggie said...

Yes, so hard to know what to do or say.

I call his mom every day. I don't always get her on the phone, but we have talked quite a bit.

Last night, they had a bonfire out there in the country, to celebrate his life. She is an amazing woman.

I feel him and feel he is surrounding her now.