Monday, June 14, 2010

What would have been for dinner tonight but will wait til tomorrow

Wes decided to go to L'ton for a friend's B'day.
So, tomorrow I will cook:

chicken with shallots and mushrooms in a white wine sauce
white cheddar mac and cheese with white truffle oil
roasted asparagus

Went to see Neil Young at the Ryman in Nashville a few weeks
ago and ate at the Firefly Grille in the Green Hills area.
On the appetizer menu: white truffle oil mac and cheese.
Oh my--quite wonderful! Of course, mac and cheese is one
of the ultimate comfort foods, but this one raised the bar.
Healthy? Surely not, but oh my--so tasty.

Neil was good, but it was the same exact show I saw a week
earlier at the Palace Theatre in Louisville. Never had been
to the Ryman, so enjoyed that. Will go again.

Blazin', friggin' hot here. Too hot to work in the yard. Surprised
my lovely plants are so forgiving of my negligence!

Some thunder, dark clouds but little rain today. Will water
tonight.

***********************

Almost forgot about luncheon at work tomorrow. I am making
MY potato salad. I do not like traditional potato salad, so over
the years, I have been working on my own, which my family,
friends, and coworkers love. Here it is:

Red potatoes (I never measure or weigh--about 24 for
this luncheon--usually about 12), washed and cut into quarters
Fresh cilantro, washed and chopped, about 2 tbps
Fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, washed and chopped, about 2 tbps
4-5 stalks celery, diced
5 scallions, snipped (I use kitchen scissors)
Fresh dill, washed and chopped, about 1 tsp
1 8 ounce container Greek yogurt
Sour cream (about 8-15 oz depending on how creamy you want the salad)
1 tsp garlic powder
1-2 tsps onion powder
Kosher salt to taste
1 tsp celery seed
Cracked black pepper to taste

Cook the potatoes until tender (add some Kosher salt while cooking).
Drain and pour out on a cookie sheet to cool.

Mix all other ingredients in a large bowl. Add the cooled potatoes
and mix as you like (chunky or more smashed).

Chill for at least an hour.

Delicious!!!!!

Getting ready to go drain potatoes and make this stuff now!

2 comments:

LKD said...

It's insufferable here. Muggy. I hate humidity. It was thick outside today, the air warm, damp and clingy. I don't know how folks live down south. I couldn't do it.

The mac & cheese sounded delish. I've never tasted a truffle so I have no idea in my head what it might taste like. I've heard that the flavor is described as being earthy, which makes sense. I'm a fan of mushrooms, so I assume, I'd embrace truffles too.

Neil's voice breaks my heart. Especially that song he sings at the end of Philadelphia. It tears me apart every time I hear it.

Good to see you posting here again, friend.

Maggie said...

You will see more of me, my friend, including all of the stuff I've been saving to drafts.

I found some white truffle oil here in town (which surprised me). The oil is infused, but when I went in search on the internet, all of them said "infused."

Earthy, nutty, hmmmm....rich? Yes, rich.

Will see how mine turns out tomorrow night!

It is insufferable here. It feels like late July or early August. Heat index over 100 again today. I just want to be inside!

Neil sounds the same, amazingly, but he really seems like he could care less about what he's doing, which was disappointing. I saw him one week in Louisville and the next in Nashville. Same set list, same props, even the opening act made the same comments. I felt like I was in The Truman Show or Groundhog day!!!!!!!!!!

But I do love the man and his voice and his music. And I am glad I saw him.