Wednesday, August 24, 2005

So far, I haven't mentioned this blog to anyone. I am not sure if I can make myself follow through with the time it takes to write here. I was once very active on the Melic Review-- an online poetry workshop. I also occasionally posted on The Writer's Block, but I started back to school to complete my bachelor's 2 years ago, and I just never seem to have the time or the energy to write poems anymore. Between a full-time job, part-time college, and a family (and lots and lots of other to-dos), I just am simply worn out. Not a day passes that I don't think poetry though, that I don't notice something and not want to write about it as I see it, that I don't have one line or five running through my head, but I just feel too damn tired most of the time to take the time to write. I am going to post an old poem of mine with the hope that I will resume writing, even if it's just to revisit and revise some old work.

The Walk We Never Took

I want to be as beautiful
as your mind allows,
soft as the morning
that awakens you after we love,
vast and open as sky.

I want you to remember
my kiss as the touch
you never felt, as the gentle
lapping of waves on the Ohio,
the silence of stars gracing
a darkness we failed to notice
in the light of new love.

I want to weave your fingers
through mine as subtly as autumn
weaves her dying colors,
the river her menagerie of debris.

Your dark eyes capture mine
in the marmalade evening,
as your hands fulfill this evening's
urgent promise.

I will come to you again.
I will come with you again to the river
we never walked, will trace the lines
that frame your years and rewrite
geography, transcend impossibility,
embrace the strange configurations
of two navigating forgiving currents.

Boy, does this need work. I kept the comments from the board on this one, and they were largely supportive of the piece with few suggestions for change, but man does this seem to be evasive and incomplete to me. I can see now why I rarely went back to a piece to revise. I would have chucked the whole thing!

2 comments:

jz said...

hi maggie

I see you.

Hope you are well --

me

Maggie said...

Wow...glad to see you!