Friday, February 24, 2006

Mostly troubling dreams last night. More of the sanitary napkin symbolism stuff going on as well. Someone was having a baby. At first, I thought it was me, but I was watching the woman, so I am not sure. Maybe it was me watching me. My husband said he knew what to do to get the baby here. The woman said she was going to take part of the roof off the house as she needed the shingles to help with the birthing process. I watched her lift a portion of the roof off (seems she removed the roofing over a dormer window).

Next, my husband starts cutting into her abdomen and removing these slabs of what appear to be fat as he's cutting them(no blood anywhere), but whatever they are, they are very firm to the touch and made of roofing-like material. It's as if her abdomen had been covered in these (these pieces being in the shape of large sanitary napkins) strip by strip in preparation for birth. I look at my husband and the woman and tell them that is not the way to have a baby, but they keep on working. Then, she starts cutting these same things from my husband's abdomen, as he is now the one carrying the baby. After that, the scene flashes to the woman breast-feeding the child. She, my husband, and the baby are sitting on the roof. She has long black hair and she's wearing a very bright flannel shirt. They looked like a family of large birds perched on the rooftop there with their newborn.

Next dream was of tornados. I know where that one came from. In November of this year, an F-4 hit the town I live in. I was at work at the time. I had picked up my son from school (he's a freshman), taken him home, and returned to work when things started looking bad. We had tornado watches in effect all day, so before I headed back to work, we went through the drill about what to do in the event of a tornado warning. At around 3:25 that afternoon (roughly 10 minutes after I got back to work), I called home and asked him if he was in the basement. He said he was. A few minutes later, he called and told me he couldn't see much down in the basement because it had gotten very dark outside and the power had just gone out. He wanted to know where I thought he should go. I told him to go to the corner we always go to, but I could hear panic in his voice. I kept telling him which wall to go to, but he kept saying "There are lots of walls, Mom, where do I go?" Then he said, "Someone's in the house...I can hear them upstairs" and then we lost phone connection. Needless to say, I was was terrified. I couldn't leave the building I was in as the sirens were going off and I would have been driving straight into the path of the tornado, but as soon as I could, I left work and drove home. When I got there, he was sitting on the back steps. I got out of the car and he said, " I'm sure glad you're ok, Mom." And I said, "Are you ok?" I was trembling and so angry at myself for going back to work that day. Turns out the people who came in the house were our next door neighbors and their black lab, Katie. When I found out that it was bad enough for them to come over and bring Katie to boot, I knew it must have been bad. Thankfully, our neighborhood was spared, but hundreds of people in this community lost everything. A few weeks ago, I read an article in the paper about the 2005 tornado season, and the F-4 that hit M'ville was the worst one on record. We were very lucky that there were no fatalities.

So, last night, I dreamed that a tornado was hitting our home, only we weren't in the house we live in. We were actually in a facility that looked like some type of medical facility. In the dream, my children are with a nanny on another floor, and I remember saying, "Why can't I be with my children? I want my children!." And then the wind started roaring and I could hear things hitting the building, and I woke up.

So much for trying to get a good night's sleep!

No comments: