Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in a midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free.
Listening to Leonard Cohen on the way to work this morning. My 15 year old son and his friends that ride to school with us every day always say, "Wes's mom has the coolest music!" That is, until I put on L.C.! Give them time and they'll love the man!
I feel like that bird on a wire--more like the drunk in a midnight choir...oh, and those lines in which he says, "Like a baby, stillborn, like a beast with his horn, I have torn everyone who reached out for me."
Yep, I feel like I've done the same damned thing--torn everyone who reached out for me. We're all just trying to be free. It's a hard thing. It's hard. It's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard rain's gonna fall....circling round like I do when I listen to music.
When I was listening to Cohen, I was thinking about Buckley's version of Hallelujah, and then once I started thinking about Buckley, I started thinking about Nina Simone--Lilac Wine
I lost myself on a cool damp night
gave myself to that misty light
was hypnotized by a strange delight
under the lilac tree
I make wine from the lilac tree
put my heart in its recipe
it makes me see what I want to see
and be what I want to be
well, I think more that I outta think
do things I never should do
I drink much than I outta drink
because it brings me back you
Lilac wine is sweet and heady/like my love/lilac wine, I feel unsteady/ where's my love?
or something to that affect
And then from Nina, I go to Cat Power (she covered Wild is the Wind on her covers CD)
and then I start thinking about my daughter and wondering how she and Ville (pronounced Vil-la) are doing.
Then I start singing some of Ville's songs off the Mattoid CD "Hello"
Funeral Party
Rat Poison
Then I start thinking about the rain and I am back to Cohen and searching for the CD that has Famous Blue Raincoat on it. Then I want to be anywhere except driving my car to work. Well, no, not really anywhere. For example, I don't want to be in the Muhlenberg County Jail!
A poet from M'ville has a chapbook called "Counting Down the Days in the Muhlneberg Co. Jail". I lost my copy and don't know where to get another, and he and I are no longer in touch, so I probably won't get another, but it was a damn fine chapbook.
And so round and round go the thoughts and I can't get any work done and I am way behind!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment