Wednesday, April 04, 2007

From my son's room comes the sound
of my youth, so long gone now:


Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday
Who could hang her name on you
when you change with every new day
still I'm gonna miss you

What do I miss?

What I never knew
as much as what I knew.

The boys whose kisses created warmth
where there had been none before, the girls
who laughed and cried with me, the grandmother
who taught me to chain one and loop two
(or something like that), the father who taught
me how to parallel park in his old brown caddy.

This afternoon, in the cold that decided
to revisit this town, I sat in the sun
and crushed buttercups. Not because


Enough.

5 comments:

james said...

hi maggie, here, at the heart of your poem, is all the poem you need:

Every New Day

This afternoon, in the cold that decided
to revisit this town, I sat in the sun
and crushed buttercups. Not because
of this
or that but all the rest of it.

Enough.

Maggie said...

If only I could write a poem, dearest jim. If only I could write. When I sat down and jotted these few words the other day, it occurred to me that it didn't matter one bit if I wrote them or I didn't. That it wouldn't make one difference in the whole scheme of things.

So I said Enough. And I stopped.

Maybe one day I will be better and I will write and I will not care about how or even if it matters that I write.

I was crushing the buttercups because I was doing my hiding-in-the-backyard-smoking-thing and was trying to conceal the cig. How inane is that?

Thanks for the thoughts--they are good ones and I will revisit them.

LKD said...

You're wrong.

I hate to say it so bluntly, but you are.

Wrong.

It does matter that you wrote them. Because I read your words. And so did Jim. And maybe others read them too, and left without saying anything.

I was going to say what Jim said when I read your words here.

Those lines at the end are a poem.

And these lines: "I'm driving into the night" and "I am taking my lonesome self out to look at the stars" are poetry too.

You don't think it matters, but it does matter.

So keep on writing even when it feels pointless.

It's what got me through my grief.

Hell, it's what gets me through every goddamned day.

Oh, and hey, Maggie? If you're going to smoke, honey....SMOKE. Don't hide it. Seriously. If you're going to indulge in a vice, you might as well savor it and enjoy it.

Keep on crushing those buttercups.

And keep on writing.

(I was going to post a song for you on my blog...and I keep second-guessing myself about posting it. It's a song by Queen called "Who wants to live forever?" Do you know it? It's been in my head for days, ever since I read your post about your father and about driving into the night.

This morning while brushing my teeth and listening to that song playing in my head, I had a flash of Jeff Buckley singing it...

and it made me wish he was alive.

It made me wish everyone we love, everyone who died to young or died before we were ready for them to die (your dad, my dad...) was alive.

Maggie said...

I don't know the Queen song...post it. I will also look for it on YouTube.

Buckley--such a loss.

I will keep writing or trying, and it does help, so that makes it matter. And I am always glad to know that you read my words and jim and jz (though he's been MIA for some time now). All of you just do everything you can to help me see there is some value to what I think and write. That matters to me a great deal.

I do indeed need to just smoke freely, but I can't bring myself to do that. I keep thinking then I'll never quit (makes no sense, I know), but there would be something so much more ok about not quitting if I wasn't hiding it.

By the way, I keep thinking about a line you wrote. It won't let me go. The line about the half-frozen water in the birdbath and glaucoma. Let me go look it up:

A skin of ice clouds the birdbath; I look away from that glaucoma.


Now, that'e seeing what someone else looks at but doesn't see. And not only do you see it that way, you articulate what your mind sees. That is poetry, and you make it look so easy.

My birdbath has looked that way all week, and all of my tender early-bloomers have succumbed to the freezing weather, so I'll just have to look forward to next year and hope they get to show off their pretty little blossoms.

LKD said...

I can't download it.

There's some glitch that won't let me download it onto my blog. Has to do with switching to the new blogger, dammit.

I tried to figure it out last night but couldn't.

If you check it out on youtube, listen to the live version. All the other versions are thoroughly unwatchable. Besides, Freddie, live, kicked ass. It's hard to believe that he's gone.

As for the smoking, heck, you'll quit someday. I did. It took me four or five attempts but I did finally make it stick.

I guess all these dead flowers are the price to be paid for that warm warm winter we had. I never have been a fan of spring, but geez, it's a bummer seeing all the flowers laid out on the ground.