Sunday, April 08, 2007

Sandy Denny - Who Knows Where the Time Goes - Demo recording

Laurel,

I listened to the Queen song and it brought me here to Sandy Denny. When I go visit my friend in Lexington, she plays this on the piano and I sing (or we both sing). I like this version, but I love the cover with Fairport Convention (couldn't find it here).

Bad day today. Cried all day, but I am not going to beat up on myself about it.

Friend, thank you. For believing in me. Though we have never laid eyes on one another, we have shared so much.

Thank you. Thank you.
M

2 comments:

LKD said...

What a lovely voice. Very Joni Mitchell-ish.

Listening to this song reminds me of a song I love, a song that helped me believe I might survive high school:

At Seventeen by Janis Ian

Thanks for posting this, Maggie. Thanks for reminding me of a song I haven't heard in an awfully long time. (I'm listening to it right now, thanks to youtube.)

(ps: I'm sorry to hear that you cried all day...but I'm glad to know you didn't beat yourself up about it.)

Maggie said...

Sandy Denny had one of my most pure and lovely voices I have ever listened to. She fell down a flight of stairs, though there appeared to be no serious consequences;however, she died two weeks later from a cerebral hemorrhage, so the assumption was that the fall caused the hemorrhage. There is still some mystery about it all, but the fact remains that she died far too young. The world lost a great talent. I loved her work with Fairport Convention, but I also like her solo stuff.

I, too, loved the Ian song. She was in this town last fall but I didn't make it to the show. Would have liked it, I think.

I liked the Queen song--thanks for sharing. I had never heard it.

Back to bed for me. I am still wiped out from yesterday's emotional upheaval, but I did get my walk in today.