Saturday, April 07, 2007

Under Cover

Last night, before dark,
I went outside and covered
the wisteria and garden phlox
with my moon and star flannel sheets,

but to no avail. This morning, the wisteria
buds sagged like old breasts, though they were small
and so seemingly ripe. The phlox leaves, unfettered
and unfurled, had turned inside of themselves as if

ashamed. Even the clematis, whose tendrils had attached
themselves tightly to the faux wood trellis, were drooping
and seemingly disinterested in the whole shenanigan.
So I disrobed them completely and finally before noon,

with the realization that my small amount of effort
mattered not at all, and that even the best efforts one can make
are at the whim of something larger than oneself. I won't
cover them tonight. I'll let the natural course of living take

its place, let the south reclaim everything to gravity,
as it' s prone to do, cover my own sagging, weathered
body tighter tonight, some simple ruse to soothe
my own misgivings.

2 comments:

LKD said...

It's sad yet soothing.

And very Jane, yet totally you.

I always hear her in your words, Maggie. I read your stuff and want to go dig her off the shelf.

Nice flow to this piece. Which is why I love her poetry. Jane's poems flowed so naturally.

Whenever I read Jane, I feel like I've just found a white stone among all the grey ones at the beach or a red leaf among all the brown ones in the pile I'm raking.

Her poems feel rare yet common, like objects one who's looking closely enough finds and pockets and keeps.

Same goes for your poetry, M.

I'm glad to have read your poem today on this snowy grey Easter Sunday.

Maggie said...

Thanks, Laurel. I so love Kenyon.

Today I am revisiting Sexton and God am I glad to read her again! I am reading Transformations. Some of them just crack me up. She had to have some fun writing them.

Rare yet common--yes, that is Jane. Oh to get to the point that I could write something like that. You give me such hope and inspiration to go on!