Laurel tagged me for a meme, though I confess
to not knowing exactly what that word means.
I am supposed to reveal eight things about myself.
Hell, I reveal much about me here on a regular
basis, but I found it hard to come up with eight
things. I will find it equally as hard to realize
another eight I didn't think about listing.
*sigh*
*
Reveal eight things about yourself
It used to be that my life was an open book,
as the old saying goes. Now, I find it’s best to listen to others
and leave me out of the equation as much as possible.
I wanted to be a dancer/choreographer. A choreographer friend
of my mom’s taught my sister, two friends and me a dance routine
for the school talent show when I was in the 7th grade. We chose
the Jet Song from West Side Story, and I fell in love with dance
and orchestrating dance movements to music.
Some nights (many lately), I go to bed without washing my face
or brushing my teeth or even taking my clothes off. It’s like I am
always ready to jump outta the bed and run if need be.
I had the chance to meet the man once (Dylan, of course), but as
the crowd surged forward and pushed me into the front of the stage,
I got so panicky I made my way over to the wall. The girl I had
been with through the whole concert who told me she had been with Dylan
in the 70s in Louisville after a show told me to stay with her
and I'd meet him. She said she had "been with him" kind of been with him--
(or so she said). She assured me if I stayed with her, I would meet
The Man. I watched from the wall as Dylan pointed out three women
(including the woman I was with through the whole show until my panicky
episode) and his stage crew took the women by the hand and took them backstage.
I like to dance alone in my dining room or kitchen. I play The Doors, Zeppelin,
Sinatra, Dylan, Hole, L7, Coltrane, Miles Davis, Lucinda Williams and others
and I just dance without reservation.
I was loving on my puppy, Molly, and damn if she didn’t tongue kiss me!
I hate the heat. I’ll take winter any old day. I can put on layers to be warmer
but not much I can do to be cooler.
I live a life largely filled with fear. I work on overcoming the fears, but they
work on overcoming me.
3 comments:
Great post, Maggie. I'm a kitchen dancer also, and am turning my toddler into one as well.
Molly tongued you?
How does one say "how sweet!" and "eeeeeeeewwwwwwww" simultaneously
(grin)
I hate the heat too. I loathe it.
Meanwhile, you live down south.
I wanted to be a dancer after I saw The Turning Point. So, I took ballet lessons. I was already a tall, graceless teenager. Started too late. And found out that the girls don't get to leap around like Misha, which is what I wanted to do. So, I quit after a year or two.
Still, ballet taught me how to stand straighter than straight. People still comment on how erectly I stand, how good my posture is.
And I tell them about my ballet instructor, how she told us to imagine a string pulling up from the tailbone, up, up, up, lifting the chin, lengthening the neck, pulling the shoulders back as it pulled right on and out the top of the head.
I liked your list alot. Thanks for sharing.
I'm full of fear too. Less so as I get older. I can climb ladders now and I never could before. I can kill spiders, or try to let them go. I can look people in the eye and hold their gaze.
A dancer. Do you take lessons now? You should. It would fill you with joy, I think.
T,
Another kitchen dancer? I find it helps to get things like mopping the floor done if you just turn on some music and work away!!
L,
I was loving Molly's neck and talking to her and just as I opened my mouth to coo at her or something, she decided to lick me, so she tongued me! Yucky and ewwwwwwww!
I do live in the humid south. I stay in a great deal of the time in summer as I can't take the heat and humidity. I have to do my gardening and walking early if I am going to get it done.
I wanted to be a dancer after seeing West Side Story. Every time All That Jazz is on, I stay glued to the tv (even though I own it). I took ballet and tap for a year or so when I was a very young girl, but I wasn't very graceful. Modern dance was right up my alley.
I used to dance openly in front of people and really enjoy myself. Now I am too timid (me, timid--yep!) to be so bold, but I do enjoy dancing here at home. I would love to learn some ballroom dances (don't watch Dancing With The Stars by the way, or any of those reality thingees--mostly just watch Biography, HGTV, the Food Network, and movies), but I would have no dance partner to learn ballroom dancing with me. I just love the graceful movements.
When my daughter started college, dance was her major. I loved to watch her perform ballet, tap, modern dance, and African dance. She has this lithe dancer's body though she is not very tall. She's very leggy. But, she changed majors and got her BA in English (as you may remember). She went to Ireland to work on her master's but couldn't stand being that far away from home, so she came back feeling rather humiliated and as if she'd let us all down, but I think the universe simply had other plans for her. She is now working on her MSSW (MAster's of Science in Social Work). She's a children's counselor in a domestic violence shelter and also has interned at the Tennessee State Women's Prison. She loved working with the women there.
So, does she still dance? Just now and then. Probably like me. When she's cooking dinner or at a show.
If I can ever get myself together, maybe I'll take up dancing. And the piano. And the guitar. And art lessons. And some more lit classes. And some more poetry classes. And even some wine classes. And then there's always Master Gardening. And what about some good old cognitive behavioral therapy time so perhaps I can learn to smile when I cross a bridge and I can even get on an airplane and go see some of this world. Of course, many of those things take money too--something I am not making now. Maybe I'll get a job soon. I have some prospects but I don't want to get my hopes up. 2 jobs at the community college and one with the Cabinet for Families and Children, but it's in Owensboro (about an hour from here).
Geez, you think I've had my share of caffeine this morning? How's this response for a ramble!!!
:)
Post a Comment