Late Night Elegy
I scream without sound
and what I say is this:
I am the cobalt blue bud vase
on your window shelf, devoid
of buds; the yellow dandelion plucked
from the yard, invading pervasive green;
the dying bleeding heart in the shade
garden, my time over for a season.
I am the cat’s fur, smooth and silky, hairs
flying in all directions as you stroke Me.
I am the collared puppy, making my way
despite the obstacles, to relieve myself.
I am the rice pilaf, fresh oregano and chives
sprinkling my body, ready to be eaten.
I am the load of laundry souring in the wash
tub in the basement, waiting to be unloaded.
I am the last puff of your cigarette, the end
now a punitive reminder of your transgressions.
I am the ocean at night, lapping still at the edges
where children and grown-ups alike played
for a few hours beneath a blazing sun. I am the guitar
in the backseat of the car, needing a new string,
waiting for the touch of your fingers, for the blood
of your fingers, for the life of your fingers.
I am screaming with no sound. I am the knowledge
that most screams, despite their urgency, and in light
of their need to be known, are never heard.
5 comments:
I like this. Very creative.
Good poem. Reminds me (don't roll your eyes because I know I'm forever saying this) of Kenyon.
Mind a quick crit? I think the first 2 lines could be tossed and do the poem no harm.
Only other cuts are "blue" and "yellow" because cobalt blue and yellow dandelion strike me as redundant.
Actually, I think the poem could end on fingers.
So, yeah, I guess I'm saying: Cut all the screaming out.
Regardless of my suggested cuts, I enjoyed reading it, M.
I think I'll read some Kenyon tonight. It's been too long.
Thanks for reading and liking, T. And for finding this creative. Creativity is something not foremost on my mind but always present. I mean, how can we say what hasn't been said already so many times before? I appreciate your thoughts and your comments more than you know, methinks.
And Laurel, I think you are ever so right. Leave off blue and yellow as they are obvious and need no explanation.
I'll try to cut the screaming out and leave it for another really screaming piece. I think this one wanted to scream but also wanted to assert the lovely way we fall into being.
And I never roll my eyes when you mention Kenyon. You know how much I love her work.
Hell, I even have a white salwar kameez hanging in my closet. Worn it only once. Jane was buried in hers.
Thanks so much.
M
What in tarnation is a white salwar kameez???
Look out, google. Here I come.
I forgot to ask:
How's Molly?
Post a Comment