Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Seeing What You Cannot See

There are times when being myopic
is not such a bad thing, times when
you lay your head down on the pillow
after a night of crying and the first
light that hits your eyes is this huge
illuminated dandelion head in the sky
and it's shining all over you, and if you close
one eye, the image is less intense, but if you open
both because you really need intense, then you see
an even greater dandelion head watching over you
and if you think it might be worthwhile to put
on your glasses to see what you don't really see,
which is a crescent moon disguised
as an illuminated and grandiose dandelion,
which seems to want to own you in a sense,
you know you don't want your glasses on your face
any longer because you are so happy you cannot see,
and you don't mind so much not being able to see
what seeing people see, so you turn your head to the left
a bit on the pillow and then the light is less bright
and the trick less grand but no less special,
and if you turn to the right a little then the leaves
on the trees play tricks and look like little shadow
figures threatening to take all your light and life
away and so you turn back to the first position
and wonder whether you should put your glasses
on again and see what you cannot see when you know full well
it's better the way you see when you cannot see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this. Great images.

How was your trip and your grandson?

Maggie said...

...a little drunken-feeling-sorry-for-myself ramble from last night...glad you enjoyed reading it. I wanted to capture the image my eyes captured but there was no way to do that with a camera. It looked like a huge white firework display frozen in time.

The trip was good. Isaac is amazing. Life is amazing.

I so hope and pray a day will come that won't find me carrying around so much baggage that I can't enjoy the day-to-day.

I can say I enjoyed every moment of holding and caring for little Isaac. And I suppose that is what keeps me going and keeps me hoping and keeps me from totally going off the deep end--moments like those I had over the weekend.

Thanks for asking. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!