Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hillary Comes to the Mad City

That's right, folks. She's only the second presidential
hopeful to ever come here--the other was Strom
Thurmond in 1948 (yikes--Strom Thurmond! creepy!).

So, I have tickets but can't decide if I want to go
or not. I don't like to be in crowds unless I have a drink
in my hand (concerts, for example, don't bother me
because I can imbibe). It's the panic thing and the social
situations thing.

No one I know wants to go anyway, so I'd have to go alone.
Which doesn't bother me too terribly much. I do lots of things
alone.

I think it would be interesting to hear what she has to say,
but I can't hear her say what she has to say on tv. I've
been paying attention. The Bosnia thing was a major
blunder, but I guess it could have been worse. Still,
is she so sleep-deprived/stressed out/worn out that she
honestly thought she was telling the truth?

I am more interested in the plans for healthcare reform
and the economy. But, I probably won't go. I'll just
watch the news tonight to see what she had to say.

Been very busy here helping with Isaac as my son and his wife
prepare to move into their new place. I know they're excited
and I'm excited for them.

I have a yard full of blooming things and I love it! But I have tons
of work to do out there too. It's brrrr here today, so I don't think
I'll go out there and work. That's another reason I probably
won't go see Hillary--I don't feel like standing outside in a long line
for several hours in the cold.

Day # 4 of the headache that won't quit. All on the left side of my head.
Damn allergies and sinus stuff. My ear hurts so much it wakes
me up, but it's a little better today. Annoying headachey stuff.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes. She's making her rounds. I think she might still be here in Indiana. I haven't listened to the news much lately, but I did hear a clip of her saying how if she's President she'll bring back all the manufacturing jobs that we used to have here in Indiana. Talk about turning back the clock. Those days are over. It's time to look at other types of jobs for Indiana. The days of Studebaker are gone.

LKD said...

Left side of your head?

Is it a migraine?

All of mine are left-sided.

Lately, they last for 3 days.

When they're really bad, I want to pry my left eyeball out of my head or pull all the teeth out of that side of my mouth as if somehow that might stop the throbbing or alleviate the pressure/pain.

And your ear hurts? One of the women at work had a sinus infection that ended up becoming an ear infection too. She had to go to the doctor. She said the pain was awful.

(I can't help myself--I love trying to (mis)diagnose people. If I could handle the science courses, which I can't, I'd probably go back to school for an RN. But I'd never get through the chemistry and all that other fun stuff.)


I used to feel that way about cigarettes and crowds. If I had a cigarette in my hand, I felt okay. Without a cigarette, I felt a little panicky.

I've never been to a political function. If you go, be sure to give us the low down.

In 1976, Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford came through the tiny town where my family lived in New Hampshire. I remember seeing Jimmy's cheshire cat grin as he drove by all of school children waving.

Hope your headache goes away, Maggie.

(I want to see your yard full of flowers! I have a subscription to Cottage Living--because I had the slightest hope that I could maybe afford to buy a cottage or bungalow this past year, but alas, it wasn't in the cards--and they always have the most amazing gardens in that magazine. I'd love to step out my back door into a yard growing over and tangled with plants and trees and flowers.)

Maggie said...

Talia,

NAFTA was a Clinton administration policy. In my years as a workforce services specialist, I met many people who had lost jobs to companies relocating, primarily in Mexico. It was simply not cost effective any longer to keep the plants open in the US.

Along with losing manufacturing jobs, outsourcing is a major problem for many Americans, too, but if you take an economics course, the info you're given tells you that the economy may suffer initially, and so will the workers affected, but it may be the best thing overall.

I am all for keeping manufacturing jobs here, but I know that there are so many issues involved in keeping it profitable. I also support retraining programs (like the one I used to work in), but there are drawbacks to that as well. There are no easy nor simple solutions to the problems we face.

I didn't go see Hillary. I was watching the news and they said she didn't start her forum until 8:30, so I am really glad I didn't leave here at 3:30 and stand in that long line, sans drink to tolerate it all, to hear her.

Laurel,

Left side, yep. Eye is pouring on that side, ear hurts, back of my head hurts. Not a migraine--only have had one in my life and that was one too many.

The pain is in the eye, ear, and back of my head, and as you said, I just want to pry my eyeball out and try to rid myself of the discomfort, but I think it's a seasonal thing. Every fall and spring I can pretty much count on it happening. Sinus infection most likely.

I worked as a Med Tech in the hospital for a few years after I graduated from high school, but when I had my first child, I decided I wanted to stay home, and then I had my second child and decided to stay home longer. When she started school, I was no longer interested in returning to the medical field though I am very interested in it and tend to do the same thing you do.

But I knew one night, at the ripe old age of 19, when I found one of my patient's dead and called a Code 9, that I could never do what the charge nurse on the floor that night did--he had vomitus all down his mouth and neck--she lowered the bed, scooped out his mouth and started CPR. I did my Med Tech part (popped the vial of Lidocaine, gave the docs the meds they asked for, etc.) but I don't think I could have done what she did, so I just never pursued the medical field though I confess to being terribly interested in it.

Did not go see Hillary. Would have needed my glass of wine or a margarita. Oh well.

I still don't have a decent camera, but if I can get some pics with my son's digital or with the crappy camera I have, I'll post some. Daffodils, heleborus, hyacinths, forsythias--lovely and fragrant.

Sorry your plan didn't work out for the purchase, but you can still plant some things where you are--even if they're in pots. Some lovely herbs and annuals, but it's not the same as having a yard filled with blooms from the bulbs you plant in the fall. Maybe that will be in the cards soon.

BTW, I like the new colors on your blog. Quite delightful. I love chocolate and teal--my daughter-in-law chose that color scheme for her bedroom in the new house.

I hope the headache goes away soon, too. Still struggling with it.

sigh

Anonymous said...

I would have rather seen Strom Thurmond in action.
www.goodoleboybumperstickers.com