Mournful
For at least 2 hours, I heard him, howling
every so often in my backyard, my side yard,
beneath the carport. Molly got a bit agitated
when she heard him. We were here, in the back
room. I was checking email and she was checking
me out. He had been howling for some time at that
point, and Molly was at her breaking point.
I left her inside and went out back to see what all the noise
was about. And there he was, nose to the ground,
moving at a slow speed--not a walk and not a run--
an in between. He was hoping his nose would tell
him how to find home. I called to him, but he never
lifted his head. He just kept about his business, nose
to the ground, every 15 seconds or so lifting his nose
and head enough to howl again.
And I felt so sad. I wanted to say: You're a very resourceful
sort. You don't let things like people calling you interrupt
your mission. You've got a nose for things and a mission.
You'll do it. You'll do it, by god, you'll do it. But he just
kept coming back. Gone for 10 minutes or so down
the street, his howls still reaching my ears. And then back
again, nose to the ground, intently and passionately and
disturbingly focused on home or something familiar.
I know, I know. I said those words out loud. To the clouds
above. To the sounds of his howls. To the bare branches
above. To the cold night air. I know. I know what it
is to want to make your sound. To feel lost but undeterred.
To make yourself be heard. To ignore the willing voices
and hands and offers. I know what it is to not know
where it is home is. I know. I know. Come to me.
Now, he is gone. Molly is quiet. The house is quiet.
There is no more howling here around this house.
And I want to believe it is because he found it--home.
Or them--people who love him. Or somewhere to bed
down for the night. Somewhere not so warm but
protected. Somewhere he can rest his tired body,
his aching throat. Somewhere he can call home
for the night, even if all of the amenities are missing
and there is no one there to love him. Just his own
love of self and his own need to survive and his own
moment of reckoning so clear and forgiving.
5 comments:
Oh Maggie,
Was this a lost dog? How sad is that! They usually know where their homes are, even though sometimes we don't! I hope he found his way! We've had a few strays around here in the past, but none lately thank God! Have a good night!
Are you sending out to be published?
..this one hits the heart...
Have you taken a look at the meanings of a dog totem? This definitely feels like a messenger totem.
Hi Jo,
I am assuming he is lost. A beagle, which explaines the mournful howl. He was back last night but not for long. Maybe he lives around here, but I've never seen him before (nor heard him). I was cooking dinner last night when I heard him start. He was under my carport, which made me think he smelled food. I called to him, but he would not come. I got busy and then got called out, and he was gone by the time I returned.
You are such an advocate for animals and their rights, Jo. They are lucky to have you. Always good to see you here, Jo!
Bill,
No sending out things. I was just writing about the dog and how he touched me. A journal entry type of thing, which is not to say it could not evolve into something else. I have a book titled Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small. Not the most well-written book I've ever read, and certainly much of it feels a bit forced and repetitive, but anytime an animal crosses my path in such a way that I feel it is speaking to me, I consult my book. I'll have to post an excerpt of what it says about dogs (some of which you would probably guess dog as totem would represent).
Thanks for stopping by!
Ѕpot on wіth this write-uр, I really think this website needѕ a great
deal mοre attеntіon. I'll probably be returning to read through more, thanks for the information!
Here is my website auto insurance
Hеllо Τheге. I founԁ your blog the uѕage оf msn.
Thiѕ is a ѵeгу ωеll ωrіtten aгtiсlе.
Ι will bе ѕurе to bοokmаrk it anԁ
return to leаrn morе οf youг hеlpful information.
Τhanκѕ for the post. I will certainlу comеbаck.
My web blοg - roofers oklahoma city
Post a Comment