
The title for this post is the name of one of my favorite Thomas
Wolfe books. I trired to reread him recently but didn't get far,
and I'm not sure why. Maybe Thomas will only remain in that
long ago place he resided in when first I discovered him.
Have been thinking a lot about my dad. Last night before bed.
In the middle of the night when I woke up and could not go back
to sleep. Does this great missing ever stop? There are days
in which I have to ask myself if I've thought about him that
day. If I had not up until that point, I certainly was at that point.
Even though I rarely went to see him, I knew what he felt and how
he felt. It was a tacit understanding. No need to explain or reason.
I just miss my dad and know I always will.
My daughter gave me some more Joan Didion for Christmas.
I am reading Slouching Toward Bethlehem. I want to reread
The Year of Magical Thinking. Sometimes I think I am still
in that year. The damage done from 2 deeply disturbing life-
changing events has taken its toll on me. I lost my dad and
6 months later, I lost my job. In between, I received a very
disturbing letter. And within a year of dad's death, two of my
good friends died. I wonder if I'll ever feel right again.
This quote from Joan Didion:
“A place belongs forever to whoever claims it hardest,
remembers it most obsessively, wrenches it from itself,
shapes it, renders it, loves it so radically that he remakes
it in his own image.”
I once picnicked on the banks of the Wabash. I brought
flowers with me, and after eating, threw the flowers
into the Wabash in memory of my father. I watched them
until they floated away out of sight, beneath the bridge
in the picture above. I took pictures that day, and one day,
when my scanner cooperates, I'll post one. Oddly enough,
as I tossed the flowers out, a little at a time, one bouquet
stood straight up in the mud. It landed perfectly, and the stems
found themselves right at home.
They are long gone now. Like so many people I have known.
But nothing will take the memory from me.
At least, I hope nothing will.
4 comments:
Hi Maggie,
You're feeling much of what I've been feeling lately. Been missing my mom for a long time. It'll be 3years soon, I think I miss her more because I haven't seen her in so long. Like you her and I had a certain understanding.
Death seems to just keep coming, and there's no way we can get the moments back! Yes one thing death can't take away is love and memories!
Hey Maggie,
Forgot to tell you, your bridge looks just like the bridge I took a pic of along the Mon River when we were at Sandcastles: http://literallyinthemoment.blogspot.com/2008/07/sandcastle-waterpark-always-fun-time.html
Isn't it neat how some places look the same! :)
Feeling much, but not doing much.
Such is life.
Good to see you here, Jo.
And yes, many bridges on our travels look like many bridges we've crossed before. I', just always happy I get over a bridge.
Ha!
to creating robots suit [url=http://www.ddtshanghaiescort.com]shanghai escorts[/url] easier to manage a sort of tools to assistance architects in the construction responsibility the buy of robot
Post a Comment