The Pines
My brother visited Google Earth one
day last week, found a picture of the house
we lived in as children, and emailed it to
me.
I scrutinized it carefully for several minutes
and sent him an email back telling him how
nothing about the house looked familiar.
It is only when I revisited the shot a few days
later that I noticed them there, just as they
have always been in my memory. The row
of pines which border the back lot and serve
as a boundary between backyards.
The pines. I was so busy looking at every
aspect of the house--the curved walkway
(I don't recall the walkway curving to the
front door or even a walkway, though it
must have been there--my brother remembers
it), and the carport Mom and Dad turned into a
family room is so much a part of the house
that one cannot tell in the picture that there
was ever a carport there and I cannot tell
that it's the same room they created--the windows
aren't right--the distance from windows to ground
beneath seems much closer together than it does
in memory--the memory of climbing out of those
windows in the late night--pale moon over the pines
out front, the smell of the ocean filling my senses--
thinking I was so cool. My mother and father searching
for me later, my ass getting literally beaten over and over--
no the window wasn't where it is now. And then
there is the portico at the front door, which I know
cannot have been there then. And I realize could
have been constructed after leaving, though my
brother says he remembers that, too.
But the pines. They are there. That large one, which
sits directly in the middle of the row of pines bordering
the lot, that's the one I fell from at age 9 when I wanted
the boys to know there was nothing they could do that
I could not do better. I learned a lesson in humility
that day, but I did not abandon my belief that I could
one-up them any day.
I climbed so high I could see houses blocks and blocks
away. I could even see to the boulevard--a distance
I would guess to be somewhere in the vicinity of 1/2
mile or so. The boulevard which was our boundary.
We were not permitted to cross it, so there was always
an allure with the boulevard.
And I was up there scrutinizing the boulevard when
I heard a snap, and that was that.
I didn't so much fall as slide down through the myriad
branches and dappled light to the lowest branch on the
tree. At that point, I fell the 6-8 feet to the ground.
I was scratched and bleeding, but my pride was the only
real injury that day. Of course, once my mom cleaned
up the blood and ranted about how I could've killed
myself, and by god how she'd kill me if I ever pulled such
a stunt again, I walked outside proudly displaying my
"war" wounds.
Though they tried hard to hide their approval of my
daring stunt, I could see it in their eyes.
I was one of them, and would continue to be for several more
years.
Yes, brother, something about the house looks familiar,
and that makes me smile this day.
12 comments:
I'll have to google the house I loved from my childhood.
It had already changed so completely within a year of my family moving out that I'm sure it'd be completely unrecognizable now.
Wyeth died today. He's one of those people that I was sure would live forever.
Hell, I guess because of his art, he will live forever.
Was a strange experience, seeing the house. So much there. So much that should be left behind. So much still desired to be known.
Didn't know that about Wyeth. I only have The Helga Paintings.
Yes, he shall live on. Forever is a really long time, but he might make it there.
Sorry for the gloom and doom attitude. Reading The Road. Makes one think or rethink about many things.
Like forever (which I know you used loosely).
I don't think I'll be able to go see the movie. The book is frightening, bleak, and I would say hopeless, but I can't because it isn't.
Cormac McCarthy. I know you know him. I know you saw and read No Country for Old Men.
Have you read The Road?
How's your tooth?
Haven't read The Road.
I wasn't that crazy about No Country--the reading experience, I mean. It felt too much like I was reading a screenplay. The movie really knocked me down, though.
How's my tooth?
Gone, baby. Gone.
The dentist promised me that I was a prime candidate for dry socket which is supposed to be the most excruciating pain this side of a migraine or child birth due to the location of the extraction, but I played it safe safe safe, ate soft food for a week and rinsed my mouth by merely tilting my head back and forth--I'm usually a very vigorous rinser. Lost 4 pounds and voila! No dry socket. So take that, mister know it all dentist.
It's weird not having the tooth there. Really weird. I told people at work that it was hard adjusting to chewing on one side of the mouth and everyone, every flipping one of them (I ended up polling about 20 people) said that they chew on one side of the mouth, never both sides . Which sounds insane to me. I've always used both sides when chewing. I can't right now. And I feel like I'm sometimes not completely tasting the food I'm eating.
So, do you chew predominantly on one side of your mouth? Most right handed people said they chewed on the left side of their mouth.
I swear, after polling everyone, I feel like I'm the only person in the world that chews on both sides of my mouth.
You should read something light and fluffy in the winter time, lady. I read The Age of Innocence in the dead of winter and wanted to kill myself afterwards. I swear, after that, I listened more closely to my mother's opinion regarding summer books versus winter books.
Have you read Sideways? The film was such a kick in the pants. I loved it. The book was fun. I think I read it on the flight home from Vegas a year or two ago.
Don't worry about the doom and gloom. It comes and goes, ya know?
I meant your mouth. I knew the tooth was gone. My bad.
I don't really know if I chew on both sides, but I think I do. Seems I'm always moving stuff around when I eat.
I'll pay attention the next time I eat something.
:)
Light and fluffy. Any recommendations? I don't do light very well, but I think it would be good for me.
I don't necessarily do dark all the time either, but I am drawn to it more than I am to light.
Damn hiccups. Been a bad day, Laurel. A sad day. I will have more of them in this field I have chosen. I can't see that it can be any other way.
My heart is heavy and I am trying to make it stop hurting. I have done myself a great injustice.
Trying to stop the pain is like trying to stop night from coming or morning from calling.
There can be no way to know the light without the darkness, no way to appreciate the warmth without having known the cold.
So, will you need a bridge or something like that?
Yes, a bridge.
A metaphorical one might be called for too, ha ha.
I'd prefer to do some sort of removable option, but I don't have to cross that bridge--ha ha, pun intended (that one's for you, Bob Dodge, oh king of puns---my father loved puns) for months. At least 3 and possibly not 6. Thank god. This mouth of mine has become a rather expensive venture. Coupla crowns, now, the failed root canal, an infection beneath another crown. I swear, it's wearing me out. I brush and floss and floss and brush, apparently to no avail. I'm leery of the whole bridge thing because I've already had issues with two crowns. What if I have an issue with the bridge?
Sigh.
Light and fluffy reading? Hmmmm. I can't say that I actually have any recommendations. I'm rereading Cheever's short stories right now. I damned love him. Whenever I read Cheever, I feel almost normal. Everyone in every one of his stories is so fucked up and frail and bitter and angry and sad and wrong. It comforts me. (smile)
I'm sorry you're having a sad day. I've been mostly happy lately, which is so fucking odd. I attribute it solely to my full spectrum desk lamp that I had to start using at work because my eyes wouldn't tolerate the florescent ones that are brighter and harsher than the damned sun. It's on 8 hours a day and I figure all that exposure to that good light has flipped a switch in my brain. I've never felt so weirdly normal and relatively happy in my life. These full spectrum lights are used to treat people suffering from SAD (seasonal affective disorder--that's what it stands for, right?) and I guess I've been SAD my whole life, because I swear, since I started this lamp a few months ago, I've been happy. And you know me. I've been searching for happiness like it was some fucking miracle or something since I was a kid. I always thought happiness was for everyone else, that I was doomed to be doom and gloom me.
I noticed my first mood boost when I began exercising daily 7 years ago. That helped to keep the blacks and blues at bay. I found I couldn't hang onto a depressive swing as long as I used to. And believe me, I used to cling to them as much as they would cling to me.
The light, though....man, it's like some kind of miracle cure. No one believes me. No one thinks it's possible that exposure to the right kind of light could have such a profound effect on the brain, but I'm here to attest to the efficacy of full spectrum lighting.
God, I do go on. (grin)
Listen, kiddo, I know it's hard. But try to be kind to yourself. Take your dog for a walk. Buy yourself a full spectrum light.
And remember that this path you've chosen may be difficult, but man, you're doing heroic work.
(I had a dream a few nights ago that my father had gone away on a long trip--he did a lot of business related traveling his whole life so it seemed like he was always gone on a long trip--and no one knew where he was or when he was coming back. My mother finally went looking for him and found him in a huge parking garage. She called to me and told me she'd found him. I walked toward them, my mother and father talking quietly like they always did about nothing and everything, and I said: Dad, I missed you. Where did you go? And he looked at me, opened his arms and we hugged each other. We hugged each other as we'd never hugged each other as adults. We hugged each other the way we hugged each other when I was a child. Then, we both let go of each other, looked into each other's face and smiled. And I woke up. I swear, Maggie, it's the dream I've been waiting for since he died. I miss him so much. And I wanted so much to repair our relationship before he died. I thought I'd have time to mend the silence and distance between us. I thought I'd have him in my life forever--or for an awfully long time. When he died, my grief wasn't merely for the loss of him, his quiet intelligence, his generosity, his kindness, but for what could've been. So that dream....my god. I still feel like he came to me, knowing that that dream was exactly what I needed. After 7 years of grief and missing him, I feel, finally, that maybe everything is mended now. He knew I loved him even if I never said it. And I know he loved me even though he never said it. Oh, my. That dream. What a gift it was and is.)
Okay, I'm really shutting up now!)
(grin)
I love puns, too. Not that quick-witted most of the time, but every now and then, I come up with some damn fine puns!
I think I will read some Cheever. I am still reading Living by Fiction (Annie Dillard) and Slouching Toward Bethelem (Joan Didion), but I can read what I want of those and not get as pulled in as I do when I'm reading fiction (well, I confess that Dillard keeps me in bed much longer than any other nonfiction I've read).
I generally read the nonfiction along with fiction just to break things up a bit. And of course, some poetry sprinkled in there, too.
I'm so glad you had that dream of your father. I know you've mentioned to me in the past that you had never dreamed of him (or rarely). In the first year after my father's death, I dreamed of him often. I still see him in dreams at least every couple of weeks. He's generally in the background, standing in the shadows of an awning or talking with someone, his back turned toward me. Sometimes it's just his voice I hear. But I am always comforted by those dreams.
I completely agree that lighting (and light) makes all the difference. I don't do well with all these gray KY days. I need to get myself one of those lights for people with SAD. My friend has one and says it makes a huge difference when she uses it.
I am trying to be kinder to myself. And I am being. But I'm also still punishing myself (bad habits--Smoking, drinking, never thinking of tomorrow, nonchalant--as the song goes).
I know how bebeficial exercise is--I just don't like to exercise. Even walking was becoming so much tedium and so little enjoyment because it was something I felt I had to do. It's like being told to do something when you're a kid--if no one told you you had to do it and you decided it all on your own, well, that was just fine. But when someone said: YOU HAVE TO DO THIS, that's when I would rebel and say Make me. So, I find myself saying Make me to me all the time.
Oh Laurel, it's such a sad thing to give up on life. To think that death would be better. To be so weary of it all. And to then act on that thinking and say goodbye to this world, to family, to friends. I realize that sort of thing is going to happen in the kind of work I do, but there is no way to prepare oneself for it.
Such was my sadness yesterday, which lingers today, and most likely will for some time to come.
[u][b]Xrumer[/b][/u]
[b]Xrumer SEO Professionals
As Xrumer experts, we from been using [url=http://www.xrumer-seo.com]Xrumer[/url] quest of a sustained fix now and grasp how to harness the colossal power of Xrumer and go off it into a Banknotes machine.
We also provide the cheapest prices on the market. Diverse competitors desire cost 2x or even 3x and a a pile of the term 5x what we charge you. But we believe in providing great mending at a low affordable rate. The whole something of purchasing Xrumer blasts is because it is a cheaper substitute to buying Xrumer. So we aim to stifle that mental activity in cognizant and outfit you with the cheapest standing possible.
Not just do we be suffering with the most successfully prices but our turnaround occasion for your Xrumer posting is super fast. We drive take your posting done to come you know it.
We also produce you with a full log of affluent posts on contrary forums. So that you can catch a glimpse of seeking yourself the power of Xrumer and how we be struck by harnessed it to help your site.[/b]
[b]Search Engine Optimization
Using Xrumer you can expect to see thousands upon thousands of backlinks exchange for your site. Scads of the forums that your Install you intent be posted on get high PageRank. Having your link on these sites can truly help found up some top-grade rank back links and uncommonly aid your Alexa Rating and Google PageRank rating through the roof.
This is making your put more and more popular. And with this developing in popularity as grammatically as PageRank you can keep in view to witness your site in effect rank gamy in those Search Engine Results.
Traffic
The amount of conveyance that can be obtained before harnessing the power of Xrumer is enormous. You are publishing your site to tens of thousands of forums. With our higher packages you may regular be publishing your position to HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of forums. Imagine 1 brief on a all the rage forum disposition inveterately rig out 1000 or so views, with signify 100 of those people visiting your site. Now create tens of thousands of posts on popular forums all getting 1000 views each. Your freight longing associate through the roof.
These are all targeted visitors that are interested or bizarre nearly your site. Assume how divers sales or leads you can fulfil with this great number of targeted visitors. You are in fact stumbling upon a goldmine friendly to be picked and profited from.
Retain, Above is Money.
[/b]
GO YOUR TWOPENNY ERUPTION TODAY:
http://www.xrumer-seo.com
[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Escape Sluggish Downloads Using NZB Files You Can Hastily Search Movies, Games, MP3 Albums, Applications and Download Them at Blazing Speeds
[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup[/B][/URL]
Predilection casinos? word of honour this late-model [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com]casino[/url] commander and be affected up online casino games like slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more at www.realcazinoz.com .
you can also dilly-dallying our blooming [url=http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com]casino[/url] orientate at http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com and age control of physical folding shin-plasters !
another late-model [url=http://www.ttittancasino.com]casino spiele[/url] roll in across is www.ttittancasino.com , because german gamblers, stretch unrestrained online casino bonus.
Making money on the internet is easy in the underground world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat tools[/URL], You are far from alone if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses not-so-popular or not-so-known avenues to produce an income online.
[url=http://www.23planet.com]casinos online[/url], also known as uncommon casinos or Internet casinos, are online versions of respected ("buddy and mortar") casinos. Online casinos approve gamblers to lessen and wager on casino games attitude the Internet.
Online casinos normally introduce up championing nearby odds and payback percentages that are comparable to land-based casinos. Some online casinos upon higher payback percentages with a objective foremost trouble gismo games, and some mutate known payout wedge audits on their websites. Assuming that the online casino is using an fittingly programmed unsystematic assorted generator, catalogue games like blackjack enthral experience an established congress edge. The payout a certain extent by after these games are established at closer the rules of the game.
Multitudinous online casinos confirm revealed or obtaining their software from companies like Microgaming, Realtime Gaming, Playtech, Wide-ranging Evasion Technology and CryptoLogic Inc.
top [url=http://www.001casino.com/]001casino.com[/url] coincide the latest [url=http://www.casinolasvegass.com/]casinolasvegass.com[/url] autonomous no deposit bonus at the best [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]baywatchcasino.com
[/url].
Post a Comment