Nothing to figure out, really, and no surprises. I'm just tired and it's way after the fact now and doesn't matter that much anyhow but I guess it does or I wouldn't say anything about it or write anything about it
She asks me where the coffee mugs
are--this the third day of the power
outage. I say The cabinet above the
microwave but I think Why is it that
you don't know? The next morning,
she asks if the "brown" cat can go out,
and I say, You mean Dante ?, and she
says, with her strange accent, OOOh,
of course, Dante. She didn't even know
his f***ing name. I've had him almost 11
years. And I am thinking again how odd.
How odd. How insignificant. How terribly
sad.
But I'm too cold to think too long or hard
at that point. And I'm too tired of being in the dark
and stuck in this house.
And I realize it all matters more than I can
let it matter.
At some point during the week, as we all
sit huddled in one room with a propane
heater going, playing Texas Holdum (sp?),
she mentions by name the brothers and sister's
cats and dogs and lots of other minutiea
which starts becoming what it's been all along
which has always seemed to be monumental
in so many ways.
Not in some linear fashion did she throw these
things out, mind you--just
in the course of a long night's conversation.
I remind her the next morning, when she
asks once again if the brown cat can go
out, that yes, indeed he can and he has
been going out for almost 11 years
and his name is Dante and the mugs
are above the microwave.
P.S
No alzheimer's or dementia here--selective
memory.
2 comments:
Hi Maggie,
Your remind me a lot of one of my friends long ago. Her mother was the same way, she bought herself the best clothes and never did anything nice for her daughter. My friend went through a very sad childhood, yet she still loved her mother very deeply and forgave her.
My mother and I were so close, I couldn't get her to stop doing things for me even when she got sick! She was all about family, and togetherness. Too bad that your relationship was not like ours!
It's never too late you know to love each other, to find a common ground. To finally find a closeness before she's truly gone from your life. Maybe the reason you were put together at this moment, I truly believe things happen for a reason!
The bitterness you carry needs to be buried in the past! Good luck in mending fences! You can take or leave my advise, Ill still love you anyway! :)
My mom wasn't about the clothes or anything--she just wasn't accessible. She was cold and unkind and never seemed to care about us, but particulaly seemed to loathe me.
You are very fortunate to have had a loving, kind mother. I know how terribly you must miss her.
I really just had to stop caring a long time ago about whether she'd ever care for me. It's just hard to be in the same space for almost 2 weeks now, but we'll make it.
Thanks for your kind thoughts!
Post a Comment