Monday, November 11, 2019

The Tree Of Life crit

I see it as a very personal struggle with the meaning of life. I don't get religion from it nor the need to be secular or nonsecular. I view the film as an exploration of a sentient being into his or her own meaning of life, or asking the question, "Is there meaning?" I love the lengthy scene where something celestial is forming (like ideas formulating in the mind). The Funeral Canticle is such a perfect choice here. It begins with a human examining the tiny feet of his child and moves from scene to scene showcasing the unfolding of life through the billions of years. The Funeral Canticle is a rather new piece of music which sounds ancient. The first time I heard it, I was on a long drive home after being away for many days. I felt transported to another realm, and it was not an altogether comfortable feeling, but at the same time, it felt spiritual--not religious--spiritual. The soundtrack is haunting. The voice-overs add to the complexity of the characters and create the illusion of knowing them a tiny bit better. The cinematography is beautifully and fully realized. That's my two cents, for what it is worth.

No comments: