Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I wrote a little something in June. Needs work but I think it has potential. Not up to discussing much today. Daniel ( I mnetioned him yesterday) was only 20 and was found dead Sunday morning. Could be drug related--don't know yet. I've been walking at the cemetery lately and find the dead, the trees, and the stones to be good company. One of my walks inspired the piece below.

Variations on a Theme: My Walk With The Dead

Today I chose to walk my three miles
through a cemetery not far from home.
Like every dedicated walker, I seldom vary
routine, the non-stop one foot in front
of the other, the persistent staying on task.

But this day was different. It was the weekend
after Memorial Day. Graves that had not seen
flowers in some time were layered in gestures
of remembrance. Jeff's was one of them. I saw it
when I banked the curve to complete my first mile,
knew I'd stop despite my plans to be diligent. He died
at twenty-six, a wife and two children left behind.
Their pictures were placed at the front of his stone,
smiling faces framed forever in a happier time.

I tried to examine their faces closely, but the sweat
of my efforts poured into my eyes, and the early
morning sun instigated an involuntary blinking
I did not attempt to rectify.

My legs, straining to carry a body
much older than the one he occupied for his twenty-
six years pushed me to move on, to not linger long
in the tall shadows a headstone casts on the manicured
lawn. And, so, on I walked, talked aloud about
how it wasn't so bad to feel the ache of a bad
hip or the weight of my middle years. I climbed one
last hill before pointing my feet toward home,
my tongue revelling as it licked the salt from
a steadily loosening upper lip.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that.

And he

actually bought me lunch because I found it for him
smile Therefore let me rephrase that:

Thank you for lunch!
Here is my homepage : zehabesha.com

Anonymous said...

Hiya very nice web site!! Guy .. Beautiful ..
Wonderful .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds

additionally…I'm satisfied to seek out numerous

useful information here within the submit, we want develop extra techniques on this regard, thanks for

sharing. . . . . .
Check out my web-site ; 2011 tax tables standard deduction

Anonymous said...

Pretty component to content. I simply stumbled

upon your web site and in accession capital to assert that
I get in

fact loved account your weblog posts. Anyway I will be
subscribing on

your feeds or even I achievement you get admission
to persistently fast.
Here is my blog post ... Alicante Spain property

Anonymous said...

I will immediately grab your rss as I can't find your e-mail subscription

link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me know in order that I

could subscribe. Thanks.
Also visit my web page ... golfing in Spain

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wow, incredible blog format! How long have you been blogging
for? you made blogging

look easy. The entire glance of your web site is magnificent, as smartly as the content material!


Feel free to visit my page; wiki.ubuntu-party.org

Anonymous said...

Incredible! This blog looks just like my old one!
It's on a completely

different topic but it has pretty much the same layout and design.

Outstanding choice of colors!
Visit my weblog :: 4 Hour body amazon.co.uk

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this
I've found It positively

useful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute & aid other users like its helped me. Good job.
My web site : computerpanga.com

Anonymous said...

Good website! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes
and the data are well written.

I am wondering how I could be notified whenever a new post has been made.
I have subscribed

to your RSS which must do the trick! Have a nice day!
My web page - phobos.xtec.cat

Anonymous said...

Howdy just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you
know a few of the

images aren't loading correctly. I'm not sure why but I think its
a linking issue. I've tried it in

two different web browsers and both show the same results.
Here is my webpage : 4 letter words with q in them

Anonymous said...

I simply wanted to make a small note to

thank you for the

unique guidelines you are showing on this

site. My prolonged internet look up has now been compensated with professional details to

write about with my pals. I 'd claim that many of us

visitors actually are definitely fortunate to dwell in a superb

place with so many wonderful individuals with very beneficial concepts. I feel

very happy to

have come across your entire website and look forward to so many more cool minutes reading here. Thanks a lot once more for a lot of things.
my webpage: Swug.za.net

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your

posts! Carry on the great work!
Here is my web page ... 3 stooges names and pictures

Anonymous said...

F*ckin’ tremendous issues here. I am very happy to peer your article.
Thank you a lot and i'm taking a look

forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?
Feel free to visit my site ... http://www.discip.ac-caen.fr/aphgcaen/upload/profile.php?id=104909

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.

Look advanced to more added

agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?
My homepage - pangeran-kancil.blogspot.ru

Anonymous said...

Hi there, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just

wondering if you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do you

protect against it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?
I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any assistance is very much appreciated.
Also visit my web page :: 4 chan b boards

Anonymous said...

Howdy would you mind letting me know which hosting company
you're

working with? I've loaded your blog in 3 different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster
then most. Can you suggest a good

web hosting provider at a honest price? Thanks, I appreciate it!


my blog post http://www.johnbroadcasted.com/

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say

is fundamental and everything. However just imagine
if you added some great images or videos to
give your posts more,

"pop"! Your content is excellent but with pics and clips,
this site could

certainly be one of the very best in its field.
Good blog!
My blog post ... litstalker.ru

Anonymous said...

It’s actually a great and helpful piece of info.
I am glad that you

shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to
date like this. Thanks for

sharing.
Also visit my blog :: system administrator jobs in spain

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I be taught one thing more challenging on

totally different blogs everyday. It'll all the time be stimulating to learn content from different

writers and observe slightly

one thing from their store. I’d desire to make use of some with the

content material on my weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll offer you a hyperlink on your net blog. Thanks for sharing.
Also visit my web site http://libertyismyhomie.blogspot.ru/2008/11/surprise-us-military-used-secret-order.html?m=1

Anonymous said...

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I find
It

truly helpful & it helped me out much. I hope to present something back and help others like
you helped me.
Also see my web page - punttic.cat

Anonymous said...

Woah! I'm really loving the template/theme of this site. It's simple, yet effective.
A

lot of times it's tough to get that "perfect balance" between superb

usability and visual appearance. I must say that you've
done a amazing job with this. Also,

the blog loads super fast for me on Internet explorer.
Superb Blog!
My site: http://wiki.lexisnexis.com/insurance/index.php?title=These_kinds_of_Best_Yet_Purchased_To_obtain_a_Music_Barcelona_Flights_Knock_Lower_Cost_Together_with_Sacks

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Nice post. I be taught something more difficult on

totally different blogs everyday. It's going to all the time be stimulating to learn content from different

writers and practice a bit of

something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the

content on my weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll offer you a hyperlink on your net blog. Thanks for sharing.
My web blog - http://mentorportal.dk

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say

is important and everything. Nevertheless just imagine if you added some great pictures or video clips to give your posts more,

"pop"! Your content is excellent but with pics and video clips, this
website could

certainly be one of the best in its field. Good blog!
My website - foreigners buying property in egypt

Anonymous said...

This design is wicked! You most certainly know how to

keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my
own blog (well,

almost...HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really enjoyed what
you had to say, and more than

that, how you presented it. Too cool!
Here is my web blog ... http://Www.Catral.biz/villamartin-golf-course-club-costa-blanca-spain.html

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some

guidance from an established blog. Is it hard to set up your
own blog? I'm not

very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinking about creating my own but

I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Appreciate

it

Visit my page - caravans at kingswood

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I


came to check it out. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm

book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
Superb blog and brilliant

design and style.

Feel free to surf to my homepage :: property pics

Anonymous said...

Good write-up, I am normal visitor of one’s site, maintain up the

nice operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a long time.


Here is my web-site :: http://annasworks.com/index.php?do=/profile-12113/info

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.