Monday, January 15, 2007

Another rainy morning...


no sun since
last Thursday (I think). Basement flooding
but not as much as it has in the past.
I think I'll just stay in bed and read today.
Last weekend, when I was in Lexington, I bought
Mary Oliver's New And Selected Poems, Volume One,
Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Memories of My Melancholy Whores,
and Alice Sebold's Lucky. Have read some of the Oliver
and am enjoying the work. Other than that, I haven't
picked a book up in the last week. Unusual for me.

Spent yesterday afternoon at Ashley's. She invited
several people over for a chili luncheon. Lupper
as she calls it. It's still difficult for me to be at gatherings,
but I made it and enjoyed myself for the most part.

Tomorrow B. has a heart cath. Not her first, but the first
was an emergency and she didn't have time to think about
many things. Her attitude worries me. I'm not so sure
she wants to make it through whatever has to be done
and I don't know how to convince her that she does.
When people tell you they're tired and so done with things
and you say I understand because I feel that way some
days too, you have to realize not everyone says it as
loosely as you may on any given day. I do feel it some
days, and I am not so sure I am saying it all that loosely,
but I am not ready to go. I'd like to think that I will want to

rage, rage against the dying of the light

I hope she'll find reasons to want to do the same.

*

Ashley's taking the GRE today and asked me ride
along. I could have stayed in Evansville at Barnes and Noble
while she was there, but I am just going to stay in today.

*

Lauren lost one her coworkers to cancer last week.
42 years old. Such a loss. It hit Lauren hard. I know she
went to the hospital to see her about a week before
she died, but her friend was out of it for the most part.
At 25, I was still a stay-at-home mom. I had
not lost anyone close to me when I was that age. This year,
Lauren's lost her grandfather and a coworker she cared
for a great deal.

*********************************

I keep sending out resumes and filling in applications
but nothing has come up yet. I got a call back
from the court system about a Court Designated Worker
position I applied for, but the position originates out of the
Lexington area. I can't do that. I can travel from my region
but I can't relocate to Lexington, so I'll have to keep checking
the website for a regional CDW position.

I have to try to get these cobwebs out of my head. Time for a cup of coffee.

*


Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the thomas. some things one just never tires of. did you read malcolm brinnin's dylan thomas in america? thomas' wife's book is excellent too, and makes a 180 turn from the brinnin.

strange, but i thought you were still at the old job. hope all goes well on your search, and that you find just what you need.

Maggie said...

I got fired. I'll start with that.
The old job didn't seem like a job when I was doing my job. It only seemed that way when I had to listen to a supervisor criticize the case managers and make sure they knew, on a regular basis, how little what they did mattered. But that wasn't what got me.

One day, in July, I met with my super to tell her that what she was doing was not just inequitable, it was not in the best interest of the customers and I felt the case load I had been given was not fair to all involved.

It's more than that, though, james, and I belabored it for some time here on my blog.

The devastation stays with me. I know I was not just doing a job because it was my job. I knew I had an affinity, if you will, for the underdog, and an understanding for the downtrodden, the misunderstood, those in need--be they rich or poor or somewhere in between. I was working in an area that I had come to know as my calling in many ways that both delighted me and wore me out.

So, I spoke up for myself and I got fired.

I never thought I'd be in this place.

I didn't read Brinnin's book but will look for it. Kaitlin's too.

Knowing my mom, she has them, but I don't talk to her much.


I,

well, nothing.

I talk too much sometimes.

I don't know what I need. I hope what I need knows I need it.

Anonymous said...

i think it knows, maggie. it usually does, but we're so late acknowledging it sometimes that we don't even realize what has happened.

things will be okay. i know they will. i been fired so many times it got to where that was the only time i felt normal.

your concern and your love for others will take you where you need to go.

Maggie said...

I hope you're right, james...

feeling low, low, low

today.

Anonymous said...

aw, i'm sorry you're feeling low.

my wife's loopy alz brother is staying w/us for a week while his wife takes a little r and r at some excuse of a convention in texas. i thought things were bad here w/b's alz, but he's got me climbing the walls. he's her last surviving relative, though, all the others, fa, mo, and two sisters, all went with alz, and b cared for them all, save this little brother, and now someone must care for her.

i wish i could lift your spirits somehow. if we were together with big cups of coffee or thick glasses of iced tea, i bet i could make you laugh. or smile anyway, make your lips turn up at the corners.

the one thing you mustn't do, maggie, is beat up on yourself. there are plenty of others around to do that for us.

jim

Maggie said...

sounds like you have a lot going on at your house, james.

you do bring a smile to my face often...

I'd take you up on the coffee...just can't have very much of it...too sensitive to caffeine...I have about 1/2 cup in the a.m to get going and that's about all I can stand though I love the taste of coffee...

and I brew fresh tea nightly for hubby and son but I can't drink it anymore...keeps me awake...

By the time we eat, I've already had 1/2 bottle of wine or so that I drink while I'm cooking, so I'm close to full before I ever eat dinner...

Made some saag chicken last night--first time I've tried to make it...turned out pretty well actually. Now I need to learn to bake Nan and lentil bread and I'll be set...