A Curse Against Elegies
Anne Sexton
Oh, love, why do we argue like this?
I am tired of all your pious talk.
Also, I am tired of all the dead.
They refuse to listen,
so leave them alone.
Take your foot out of the graveyard,
they are busy being dead.
Everyone was always to blame:
the last empty fifth of booze,
the rusty nails and chicken feathers
that stuck in the mud on the back doorstep,
the worms that lived under the cat's ear
and the thin-lipped preacher
who refused to call
except once on a flea-ridden day
when he came scuffing in through the yard
looking for a scapegoat.
I hid in the kitchen under the ragbag.
I refuse to remember the dead.
And the dead are bored with the whole thing.
But you -- you go ahead,
go on, go on back down
into the graveyard,
lie down where you think their faces are;
talk back to your old bad dreams.
3 comments:
Thanks for posting this.
I needed to read this particular poem tonight.
You know how you read a poem or hear a song or see a photograph that opens up the wound you've been holding closed?
That's how this poem hits me.
I've been sad all day, sad since yesterday, all because of an elephant.
It sounds so silly.
But I read this article at work yesterday and now I can't get it out of my head:
The Good Friday Elephant
I think Anne, tonight, opens the wound. And in a way, closes it, too.
So, thank you.
one of my favorite poems, maggie. thanks for bringing it back to me. it's been so long since i read it, yet tonight was just like yesterday. jim
What a sad story, Laurel. I think of the helplessness that elephant must have been feeling struggling so but unable to do anything when exhaustion took over.
and, jim, glad you stopped by. This is one of my favorites too and I am really glad to have come across it in my reading yesterday. As Laurel says, Anne opens the wound and then closes it, too.
I needed to read that poem yesterday and I needed (and still need) to believe she was right...
"Tonight was just like yesterday"--seems that way often, doesn't it?
Post a Comment