Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Gray Sky

Glad to have a gray sky this morning--I hope
that means we're going to get some rain.
It is so very dry here that I really don't
think we'll get to see all those lovely colors
death graces us with and strews around in the fall.

*

Finally some much needed sleep for me last night.

Had my first major panic attack in over
ten years the other night, even with my
medicine in my system. It takes at least
a week to try and regroup from one.

It was terrifying, as they always are.

I may have to change meds or increase the one
I am taking, but it's worked so well for the last 12 + years
that I hate to do that.

*

Tried out something new last night--chicken
breasts stuffed with spinach and gruyere cheese.

Defrost a 10 oz box of chopped spinach
Wring until completely dry in a clean kitchen towel.
In a bowl, mix the spinach with 1 cup grated gruyere,
1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan, 2 tbps mayo, 1 tsp
crushed red pepper flakes, and a dash of kosher salt.

Blend that well. Pound out the breasts until they are
1/2 inch thick (or just flattened a bit). Put the spinach
mixture in the center of each breast and roll it up.
Secure with toothpicks and then cook in skillet in olive oil
until chicken is lightly browned. Transfer to a backing
pan and cook for 40 minutes or until juices of the chicken
run clear. You don't want to overcook and have dried out
chicken.

Then I made a white wine sauce ( 1 1/2 cups pinot grigio
or a dry white wine of your choice, 2 cups chicken stock,
1/2 cup heavy cream, and flour to thicken if needed) to pour
over that, some jasmine rice and steamed broccoli.

It was very good.

Tonight, I think I am going to make some balsamic
pork chops, brussels sprouts with cranberries,
and some kind of potatoes.

*

Still feel drained. Going to lie down and read awhile
and then take Molly for her walk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We got a smattering of rain today but not enough...maybe some storms tonight.

I made porkchops for dinner, too. I only put pepper on them, though. I can be a borning cook (er, lazy). I also made fried potatos with onion and dill weed, and mixed vegetables with cheese.

Maggie said...

We only got a smattering as well...

I marinated the chops in balsamic vinegar. Then I borrowed from Rachel Ray and rolled them in chopped sage, parsley, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Cooked them in some olive oil enough to brown them and then popped them in the oven for a short time.

They were good, good, good.

I tried something different with the potatoes tonight.

I cubed unpeeled red potatoes and cooked them until they were tender. I drained off most of the liquid and them sprinkled some kosher salt and cracked black pepper on them. I mashed them lightly and then added chicken stock, sour cream and dill. They were yum!

I like fried potatoes with onion and dill any day of the week!