Monday, April 09, 2007

This Evening Sky

The birds aren't leaving. They are flirting,
swooping in grandiose dives and swirls, circling
and harassing one another. They are nesting,

they are love-making. And in all
that grandiosity, my Molly, my bird-
dog, red-baby Irish setter Molly,
takes wingless, full-throttle flight

herself across the backyard, never
getting close to trapping one, much less
savoring the feast of the forbidden. She stops

when one lights in the magnolia, knowing
what she savors is far from her reach.
I relinquish my hold on the leash, know
she's perplexed and not apt to run from me.

We stand there, two solitary animals, thinking
about the one that got away, wondering
about the ones that stay. I say this with certainty

as she is no ordinary dog. Today, she pissed
on my comforter--her hallelujah--her right
to be here. Her this bed is the forbidden
song. She spent some time outside after that,

tethered to her tie-out, her red fur gleaming
in the early April light. We all want to own
something--some spot, some place we can claim

as our own, a place reserved for others that our flesh
and bone never get to inhabit, an evening sunset
we know others have as much right to witness.
And all the while, birds flutter above and wing

themselves relentlessly into a blinding blue.

2 comments:

james said...

maggie, this is beautiful work, but again i keep seeing the heart in its relentless knowledge:

Fobidden Song

The birds are flirting, swooping
in grandiose dives
and swirls, circling and harrassing
one another. They are nesting,

they are lovemaking. AMd in all that
grandiosity, my Molly, my bird-dog,
red baby Irish setter Molly,

takes wingless
full-throttle flight, hurling

herself into a blinding blue.

And you might do away with the punctuation. It's really a lovely concept, maggie, and the images are startling and original. jim

Maggie said...

Thanks, jim. I guess I need to compress, huh?

I know I do go on so. Too prosey I think.

I usually keep Molly out of my bedroom because it's the cat's haven. They sleep on the bed all day, and they sleep there with us at night. I have tried to make this transition to a new dog as seamless as possible, and though the cats are coming around some, they still dislike Molly immensely.

So, the cats were out of the room the other day, and I really needed to lie down. When Molly came ambling into the bedroom, I thought
Give her a chance. Maybe she'll get up here and take a nap. But noooooooo, she got up there and tried to mark her spot (at least, I think that was her point).

Needless to say, no more Molly on the bed for a while.

All of that made me think how there is an actual desperation we animals have in our need to claim a space, a person, some little corner of this big world to call our own.

Makes me think of cummings

"May came home with a huge round stone
As small as a world and as large as alone"

Alone seems mighty large in my life right now...it is doing its little flirting, swooping, grandiose thing to try to entice me to let it stay. I must confess that it is having its way with me.