To be forgotten
I know a bit about how the Katrina folks felt.
We have been without power since Tuesday morning.
As a matter of fact, the power went out about 5 minutes
after I typed in my last post.
No one expected this. And apparently no one (out there)
seems to know the severity of this county's situation.
This county and the four surrounding counties
all without power until yesterday.
Ours came on at 11 or so last night.
On Wednesday, the mayor ordered an emergency evacuation
for anyone who could evacuate. But that was a tricky
situation. You could not get gas, kerosene, propane,
food--nothing at all for days. We were fortunate that
we had gas in our vehicles. We drove to Clarksville, TN
to try to find a generator but were told there were none
to be found anywhere closer than AL. We couldn't even
find an oil lamp or a cooking stove.
On Thursday, our neighbor drove to Terre Haute, IN
and bought two generators. We bought one from him.
So, on Friday morning, we had some power in the house,
but the generator was not compatible with our heating
system. It did pump out the two feet of water that had
risen in our basement and it kept the fridge going and
the microwave and a small electric heater and a few lights.
We had been told it could be up to four weeks before
we had power again. And it is likely that the outlying
areas in the county will be without power that long.
I am only a few blocks from downtown--the city
center--so I hoped we would get ours sooner than
the predictions.
It feels strange to be connected again. We've all been
in survival mode all week. Just trying to keep warm and
keep food in our bodies.
It's odd, too, to become connected once again and find you
haven't been missed. Odd indeed. This whole experience
has much to say to me about my life, who I am important
to, and what is important to me.
It's hard to say what was most missed. Had we not had
a small propane camping heater which kept the room
we stayed in around 40, I would say the heat. But you don't
know how much you miss the light until the night comes
and blackness is all around and there are no trains
running and the only sound is the occasional passing
on the road of an emergency vehicle.
I feel humbled. I feel happy to be alive. I feel strange.
I am looking at the wreck that was my backyard. It looks
like a war zone out there. But we have out house. I don't
know how many burned down in town. We had no radio and no
paper until yesterday.
Yes, I feel we were forgotten. We were all saying
Where's FEMA, where's the National Guard, where
are supplies? But nothing was happening, or it was
and we just didn't know. That remains to be seen.
And, yes, I was forgotten, but that doesn't seem so
important either.
More to come.
3 comments:
Hey Maggie,
I was thinking of you when I saw the news, you poor thing! You know in a way I'm so glad we have a woodburner for heat. We've been fortunate in the fact that folks want down trees out of their yards, and have free wood.
Hey if you get the chance take some pictures, I'm sure thats the last thing on your mind! No power and all. We use charcoal grills here in the Summer too, and we could us it in the Winter if needed.
We don't have a generator, but would be handy to have with the weather we've all been experiencing. The top of our driveway has finally melted off.
I couldn't imagine all you're going through! I'll pray for you sweet friend. Take care and stay warm, and chin up!
My mother, 2 brothers and I were stranded in our house in New Hampshire for a week after a blizzard. No heat, no electricity, no running water, no telephone. We lived in the living room by the hearth, cooked over that fire, slept next to it, melted snow for water. My brothers and I were just kids so we thought it was a big adventure. None of the 3 of us had any idea how scared shitless my mother was the whole time. She never let it show. The woman is made of steel, I tell you.
My father was away on a business trip. He got back on the same day the power came back on.
I guess we all have to lose our daily comforts from time to time to remember just how lucky we are.
I'm glad you and yours are safe and well and warm again, Maggie.
Did your town's trees and structures sustain much damage from the ice storm? Ice storms can be just as devastating as hurricanes and leave huge amounts of damage in their wakes.
Laurel,
You learn to be resourceful in times like this. Good lesson to learn. Bummer to have to learn it this way!
Yes, the trees are a wreck. I think I said we lost about 60%, but we lost about 20-30%. A good 60% are heavily damaged.
The structures fared better. Seems most of the trees/limbs fell across power lines and onto the street. There was quite a bit of damage to vehicles parked under trees. And several house fires.
Still many here tonight without power.
I am going to appreciate my warm house and cook a nice meal.
Chicken with some kind of warm caper sauce and mushrooms and roasted asparagus. God, I've missed my veggies!
Post a Comment