Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Lou Reed - Perfect Day


Just a perfect day,
Drink Sangria in the park,
And then later, when it gets dark,
We go home.


Just a perfect day,
Feed animals in the zoo
Then later, a movie, too,
And then home.


Oh it's such a perfect day,
I'm glad I spent it with you.
Oh such a perfect day,
You just keep me hanging on,
You just keep me hanging on.


Just a perfect day,
Problems all left alone,
Weekenders on our own.
It's such fun.


Just a perfect day,
You made me forget myself.
I thought I was someone else,
Someone good.


Oh it's such a perfect day,
I'm glad I spent it with you.
Oh such a perfect day,
You just keep me hanging on,
You just keep me hanging on.


You're going to reap just what you sow,
You're going to reap just what you sow,
You're going to reap just what you sow,
You're going to reap just what you sow...


I'll don't think I'll ever hear that song again without thinking about the morning my mom, my brother, and I were on the way to University Hospital, Louisville and Transformer was
in my CD player. It was turned down very low, but when Jason heard it, he started
telling me about the first time he heard it. He's my baby brother and knows a lot about music, but he didn't know that Lou Reed song until he heard it on an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (or that's what I remember him saying, but memory is a tricky thing). So, it was playing, and now every time I hear it, I am driving down Broadway in Louisville again on my way to see my father who was still very much alive.

And so, I either burst into tears each time it starts, or I turn it up really loud and sing my heart out and just wish I could go into rewind and be driving back to the hospital. When will this get any better, any less painful, any more believable, any more comprehensible?

I only remember one of my dreams from last night, and it wasn't about Dad. Oddly enough, it was about my boss and coworkers. My boss was actually being a friend to me. We were all in this old house getting ready to eat dinner. It was like a boarding house, and it was more like we were family than coworkers. I know there were some weird food things going on, but I can't remember what was going on today. That's good. I usually remember my dreams in such great detail, but not last night's.

Very tired today and looking forward to my mini vacation. I am taking 4 days off, so I'll work tomorrow and not return until the 1st of June. I need to sleep in late, lie out in the sun, work in my gardens, do some things around the house, and just be away from the work environment.
I wasn't at all ready to come back.

I miss my Dad.

No comments: