Saturday, May 17, 2008

A good day

Today was a good day. To see my daughter
receive her master's (with honors--summa cum laude)
knowing all the hard work she's done and is yet
to do. If you go into social work thinking you'll
get some kind of cushy job somewhere, then first
of all, you've not entered that field for the right
reasons. Secondly, you will find that life outside
of school and curriculum is not what life is all about,
but she already knows these things. She is a children's
counselor in a domestic violence center and has been
for some time. She did the first internship in a women's
prison--the second in an HIV/AIDS center.

She has so much respect for the people she meets--
whether it be at work or elsewhere. I entertain
the idea that I may get a master's at some point
in social work, but when it comes down to the nitty-
gritty, I confess that I am not sure I could do that
work every day. I have to ask myself--do you think
you're better, or do you think you could not take
the emotional strain, the giving, the ability to be kind
but firm, the guts she has to do what she does.

She's one gutsy gal. She's more than alright.
She knows her own issues and takes them as they
come--some days not wanting to own them, most
days trying to figure out a plan. Above all, she's
full of life and energy and compassion and wisdom
that far exceeds her years.

It was such a blessing that grandma and grandpa
could be there too, today. They were so thrilled.

And the party her friends threw for her was such fun
and such an eye-opening experience for us, her family
who are not with her on a daily basis.

She will and can make a difference. She will and can.

Tomorrow morning, I leave here at 6 or so. Drive
to Nashville to rouse two sleepy-headed young women
for the long drive to Naples. I should go to sleep,
but I am thinking of today--the wind blowing hard,
the sun so bright, the smiles on all of the faces
at graduation and the party, the time spent
with my family, the time coming up this week
to spend with my sister and her daughters--
her youngest graduating from high school on Friday,
her oldest with her two beautiful sons, the boat ride
to Key West.

On we go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your daughter! She sounds like a fantastic person. The world needs more of her.

Calder said...

Hope your trip is going well and you are having tons of fun!

congrats to you and your daughter on the outstanding accomplishments, getting the Masters with honors and all.

Wooowhooo!!!

Maggie said...

Talia and Calder,

Thanks--she's an amazing person...we had a great time on the trip!