Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Poetry, Plants, and Planning

Another busy morning. Took Molly for a long
walk this morning after I got back from the grocery.

Bought enough for the next three nights. Tonight,
chicken tortilla soup. It's hot here, but I like soup.
And instead of tortilla strips for the soup, I am going
to serve a jalapeno cheese bread I bought and some
fresh fruit (watermelon, cantalope, and honeydew).

I bought some more plants today and worked on those.
Vinca and impatiens. Washing more clothes, as usual.

How did I ever get all of these things done when I worked
full-time? I really think I was better at time management
when I was working full-time and going to school.

***********************

Dorianne Laux. I chose her for this month's poetry
circle, but I haven't chosen the poems yet. Need to work
on that today.

**************************

Making plans for the upcoming trip to FL. This weekend
is prom weekend, and I am excited for Wes. Can't wait
to see him in his tux and his lovely girlfriend in the dress
she chose. Picture time (and me sans camera). Wes has
a digital camera that I have never used, but I am going
to start using it. That night.

The following weekend (the 17th) my daughter receives
her master's. She never ceases to amaze me. She works
full-time, goes to school full-time, and still performs
with The Mattoid, even though she and her guy have split.
She is an astounding, amazing, passionate, and giving
person. The social work field needs more people like her.
Needless to say, I am proud.

On the 18th, she and I leave for FL. We are going to Naples
for my niece's graduation from high school. We're driving
there all in one day on the 18th, and plan to have a beach
day on the 19th. On the 20th, we're going to Key West
for the day. We're taking a boat from Naples to Key West.
We'll get back about 9:30 that night, and though I have
terrible anxiety issues, I am excited to think I can go on the
deck at night and see the stars from that vantage point--
away from lights, the dark ocean all around us.

We'll stay in Naples until the 24th, the day after my niece
graduates, and then it's on to Orlando to visit some other
family. I think we're driving home on Memorial Day,
but we haven't decided for sure.

Last year, at the same time, my daughter's dearest
friend was killed in a car wreck and we drove to Naples
to get away for a little while. We came back home
on Memorial Day last year. I hope this is a better
trip for her. And I am honored that she wants
to take a trip with her old Ma. Not all adult children
want to spend that kind of time with their parents.

********************************

Time to do another load of clothes and get back outside
to dig in the earth some more.

3 comments:

LKD said...

For Dorianne, will you be using "Death Comes to me Again, a Girl"?

Anonymous said...

Has it been a year since your friend was killed? Time goes by so quickly.

Your trip to Florida sounds so nice. I want very much to go to Key West some day. I'd love to visit Hemingway's house.

Maggie said...

Laurel,

I like that poem and may choose it. Need to look through my books and make some decisions...major procratinator today!

Talia,

It has been a year since Jake was killed. My daughter is still grieving him heavily.

I can't wait to go to Hemingway's house, Sloppy Joe's, and the cemetery where Zora Neale Hurston is buried (I think she's buried in Key West, but I'll have to check that!). I also want to go by the house Tennessee Williams lived in--I would just love to see where he spent so much time writing his plays.